National 12 - find out more...

colour choices for bits of string

Started by philipcosson, 01 May 2006, 10:05

« previous - next »

philipcosson

Hi all,

my running rigging is looking very sad and I have had some breakages. i need to replace all with new stuff

1) what "gauge" should i choose
2) what type of "rope"

I have:

lowers
shrouds
kicker
cunningham
mast ram
mast prebend
outhaul
forstay
centreboard

all of these are lead back to thwart/cb casing.I have dangly pole controls as well

We are just learners and really only adjust on the shore at the moment (outhaul, kicker and forstay)

is there any logical grouping of these controls into colour groups?

also - i need to replace both halyards (def the rope, maybe the metal as well) can one use dacron halyards instrad of steel?

I want to do this before the 20th May

any advice would be most apreciated

cheers

philip
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

philipcosson

sorry
its n3253 - fiberglass AC with aluminium mast and boom

Lukepiewalker

I put the white (outhaul, I think) rope on new when I got the boat, so it should be ok.
8-plait pre stretched or 16-plait polyester is probably the way to go, 5mm.
The controls on the back of the thwart are the primary controls you use most often (outhaul, downhaul, kicker, I think the lowers are on there too....)
The white letters offer extra hints as to which is which, but obviously you want to aim to have different colours of rope for each control.
I think I renewed all the elastic so it should be ok.
Some of the wire bits (lowers, strops and the like) could be replaced with appropriate modern low stretch ropes which would save a bit of weight.
Ummm... Errr.... That's all I can think of offhand...

philipcosson

hi

cheers for this

have you bought another boat yet? what class are you in?

the elastic on the dangly pole went snap the other day

but my main point was -  is there a logical grouping i.e. things you adjust together normally all in one colour.

I like the idea of gybing then "releasing all the red bits a bit" for the run... optimist or what?

Philip

Lukepiewalker

You could do it that way I suppose, the danger is if you are in a hurry and you only want to release/tighten a specific control it makes it potentially more confusing, especially if you have an inexperienced crew when it helps if you can just tell them which colour rope to pull... (ie about to crash gybe and want the leeward shroud back on)

Lukepiewalker

Oh yes, I have acquired myself a Finn. Not had any proper wind to contend with yet  ;D

philipcosson

once i lose my crew i fancy a finn or an RS300

phil

philipcosson

but i hope that will be a few years off - as i have a daughter waiting in the wings to take over from son!

Jane Wade

Hello

Always use red for the kicker.  Bit of a joke with the people I have crewed for but I always think 'red' for danger!  Other than that make it easy and use a different colour for everything.  I think the only thing that can double up is windward and leeward shrouds.

Mr Wade has just said never mix your colours which I think means if it comes off the mast blue make sure it is still blue when you get to the cleat!

Best of luck with the restring.

Jane Wade
Caretaker 3468

DavidW

Do start playing with the kicker an outhaul on the water soon  - they are the most important controls after the sheets as they have a significant effect on sail shape.

General rule - outhaul off downwind for a fuller, more powrfull sail and tightish upwind - very tight when needing to depower.

Kicker also tighter upwind than down and  getting progressively tighter on each the harder it blows.

Adjustments on the water will allow you to make the most of the changing conditions around the course.

Move on to playing with the others as you feel ready.

Good luck

David
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

n12 Bottom Banner