National 12 - find out more...

Carbon Mast and Sails

Started by James Taylor, 19 Jun 2006, 08:31

« previous - next »

James Taylor

Hi all

Wondering weather anyone knows of a Carbon mast going cheapish for a AC boat or a rough cost for a new one.

Also I am on the look out for a better set of sails ideally newer that 2001 in good condition.
Thanks you can email me at james.taylor@cosalt.co.uk or number is in the book.

Cheers
James 3304

THG

THG

icecreamman

I realise this may not be the answer that you are looking for, but if you are interested and have a bit of time on your hands, try the download about making your own boom. Yeah it looks easy, but I bet it is not quite as easy as it reads, but good luck
 :-/

James Taylor

I have brought a Carbon boom from Aardvark over the winter looking to upgrade the rest of the bost now, After the car accident on the way up to Northampton and finally after three weeks of waiting they have finally amited it was there fault. So she is going to be have a new transom over the winter (and while we are there we are going to take out a bit more wood ).

Thinking about may be the moving up to a newer boat though can't work out what would be the best though as we are on the heavy side want a Double bottom ideally.

James

philipcosson

Hi James et al,

I'm still with aluminium at the moment - my dilema is if I order new sails now - and then transfer them to Carbon boom and mast next year, will they be the right shape for both?

How different are the cut of the sails?

also - which classes can we look at to buy second hand masts from and adapt?

Philip
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

MarkSimpson

Philp
Sails for carbon and metal masts are cut with different luff curves due to the different bend charaturistics of the masts.  So it's not ideal to swap sails from one type of mast to the other.  It's possible to have the sails recut to make them more suitable, but I suspect that it's compromise and not as good as having them cut correctly from the start.

Mark

Mikey C

Sails for carbon have more luff curve, sails for metal have less. you can make metal mast sails fit a carbon mast just by keeping the mast straighter. its much harder to force the bend into a metal mast though....
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

n12 Bottom Banner