National 12 - find out more...

singlehander?

Started by jonn, 17 Dec 2005, 12:31

« previous - next »

jonn

hello, i love the look and style of the N12, but at over 17 stone my crew would have to be tiny!.what are the thoughts on sailing these boats single handed?

john (Guest)

At 15 stone, I sail a vintage 12 singlehanded, although not for racing. As the boat is not too dissimilar to a Firefly, which was the 1948 Olympic singlehander, it's perfectly feasible, as long as the jib cleats work well, you have a continuous jib sheet, and you route all the control lines to suit youself. An up-the-mast jib stick is also a great advantage.

John

jammy dodger

Hi there, we all regularly sail our twelves single handed at Spinnaker on the lake. As long as you fit cleats for the jib and have other bits of string sensibly placed you will have a lot of fun. The trick is not to jump about too much (on the lake) especially as you are no lightweight! Enjoy!! Simon N3470

jonn

hello,thanks for the reply,what sort of 12 do you guys sail?  I have sailed fireflys,albacors,phantoms and at the moment have a lovely old hot moulded finn,witch is pritty stable but heavey and hard work.I quite fancy a 12 from the 70s 80s,with lots of wood work to varnish!.I sail at portland and LymeRegis and have a possable crew,9year old child! cheers john.

David W (Guest)

We have a selection of 12's at spinnaker ranging from from a 1970's cheshire cat to a 2003 Feeling Foolish - most of sail some of the time singlehanded  - mine is the feeling foolish with the only obvious bit of wood beeing the cheeks to the mast gate. I seldom have a crew on a Wednesday evening. The 12 is a dellight to sail singlehandedly but you'll not be able to enter join the open meeting circuit sailing on your own and you would need to check with your club whether they'd permit you to race.
My daughters started crewing at around 6 years old. A 9 year old would be great for you.
You could find yourself seaching for a long time for a boat which will give you more fun!

Happy sailing

David W

THG

Jonn - if you want a N12 to varnish my Baggy T N3364 (198?) is up for grabs at a low price.  Have sailed this single handed OK (has cleats / dangly pole and most controls back to helm) plus long tiller extension.  My 7 year old son sailed OK in it - older ones better in a blow.  Local Club was Ok with me racing it on Weds evening.  

See previous posting for contact details etc.

Kean
THG

Lukepiewalker

I used to fairly regularly sail my Baggy singlehanded. I think my tiller extension was four feet, which helps....

jonn

hello,how would a baggy differ from a firefly,in handeling and speed?  cheers john

david w (Guest)

Much more nimble and responsive.You would need to move faster in the boat but would find your sailing much more rewarding, if a little more challenging. In the lightest winds the Firefly is almost as fast but as soon as the breeze picks up you'ld leave them in your wake - especially on a reach. You would find yourself out-pointing the Firefly and  just about all  other class in a handicap race - I wish I had a pint for the all the calls of "mast abeam" and " you mustn't luff me" on a beat from those who don't know either their rules nor how high we point!

Best thing would be to get to a club with a few Twelves in your area and ask to have a go - try via the try a 12 bit of this website if you don't know where to go -

If you fancy trip to Ringwood we could arrange something I'm sure.

Cheers

David W

john (Guest)

hello, after pestering alot of 12 sailors over the phone,( who have all been very helpfull ) i have got myself a cheshirecat,2962.my first impression as i wobbled off on a broad reach,in a lightish brees,was, christ this things tippy im hovering between sitting on the side and squatting in the middle wondering what the hell a fat git like me is doing in this cockelshell!.however after a bit more sailing things  got easer and i think i started to feel a hint of that 12 magic!!  john.

david wilkins (Guest)

Congratulations on your  purchase and first sail. Do persevere  - the magic is very rewarding!  Come up to Spinnaker for our open meeting on Saturday 1st July. Its on the edge of the New Forest only 5 minutes outside Dorset and it would be good to meet you and a chance for you to get to see some more 12's.

Hope to see you then

Cheers

David

angus

I can tell you After getting in a china doll for the first time for about 30 years with my nine year old son I thought what the hell have I done!!!.
But the wobbly feeling soon went And I still havn't dumped him in the water, although I have managed it a few times with other crews. I also sail single handed, but at 10 stone I start to struggle a bit when the wind gets up.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

PhilCo_SL17BQ

I was just about to ask the same question as Jonn. I never gave a thought to having a crew when I bought my boat. I hadn't intended press-ganging anyone into crewing. I bought the boat because I liked the look & style of it. I was however worried that I might have to re-sell and buy something else if it couldn't be sailed single-handedly. The comments here have assured me that 'solo' is ok.

Phil
N3023

n12 Bottom Banner