National 12 - find out more...

Top batten in light winds

Started by Alex D, 17 Aug 2006, 11:00

« previous - next »

Alex D

I have just taken my recently purchased 12 out for the first time in very light winds. Apart from problems with the rudder springing off and self bailers that leak :) it was a good sail.
One problem I had was in flicking over the top batten. Any suggestions as to which technique works best in these conditions?

Alex D
N3246
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

philipcosson

Hi Alex,

Do a search on the forum for top batten - this has come up before (I asked the same question about 3 months ago!)

Basically, you have to roll tack, if you wait as long as possible before crossing to the other side (without shipping water) then cross over quite quickly and hike out to bring the boat level again. If you simultaneously tug on the mainsheet this should flick the batten.

Problems I have with this are:

Various opinions about the kicker tention in light winds - and this affects the easy of batten flicking

In really light winds, if the boom is close hauled, letting out the mainsheet does not do anything, so there is no mainsheet to pull in after the tack - but i would rather watch paint dry than sail in this sort of light wind with my present crew(s). My smallest crew has too much time on her hands to spot flies, spiders and other bugs in the boat - with resultant screams. My olderst just sits there looking sullen and saying how bored he is.

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

Kevin

Try pulling the kicker on before you tack. This does not guarantee the batten will flick over but it usually works as you roll tack. Don't forget to let it off again immediately afterwards though.

Kevin

Jimbo41

I seem to remember reading that pumping the main to flip the top batten in light winds might make you guilty of infringing Rule 42? I suppose though, as long as you came out of the roll as fast as you went in, noone would pay too much attention.

The major problem might be with handicap races though...... :-/

Jim N3130 (Just back from Salcombe and Burton Weeks)

John Meadowcroft

Roll gybe - if you dont it is hard to get the energy into the rig to flick the batten.

When the boom has come across and the jib is now pulling

Use your body weight - essentially hit your bum against the deck as the boat should still be heeling towards the new leeward side - to give the rig a good 'flick'.

After this the boat should be either heeled or close to flat, depends on how successful you were with using as little force as possible.

If the boat remains heeled, now use your weight to get the boat flat and give the mainsheet a good pump as so far you have not done that.

All comments about increased kicker tension are perfectly valid as these can assist flicking the batten across before you give it a good pump.  Practice is required so dont give up.  Also try varying batten tensions to see which is best.  I believe that it is a mistake to have it too loose as this does not assist.

Hope this helps

John.

Alex D

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a go next time we're becalmed again. Seeing  the forcast for the south west I suspect it won't be this weekend.  :)
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

n12 Bottom Banner