National 12 - find out more...

Explore the 12 - feedback please

Started by grazz, 22 Sep 2006, 07:04

« previous - next »

grazz

I've been trying to think of more interactive way to demonstrate the differentiators of the 12 in a fun way. So i've tried the idea of an "explore the 12" page. I haven't linked it from the main site yet because I want to know if it works for people, whether it is fun and also if it gets the point across.

Anyone who's interested is welcome to have a look and let me know what you think.

http://www.national12.org/hints/explore/explore.shtml

If it doesn't work then please let me know what browser and version you are using. And if you think it is missing this point then let me know where

Thanks

Graham

rick perkins

Works well - it would be good to not to knock the SMOD's in point 7.

Best to put the 12's best points forward and leave the reader to work out why this is better than perhaps other options.

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Jimbo42

Grazz,
Pretty cool stuff. The jet lag seems to be having a postive effect!!!! How about arranging it that we get max hits with Google then we can do max publicity..... ? Link into main website and so on.

Jim N3130 (Smash the plastic fantastic trash)

mack

Hi All,

As a newcomer to the class I think this is really good. When I first found out about the 12 it took a lot of searching to find out this sort of info. I would have really appreciated this type of page to help me!

Rick makes a good point about not knocking other designs leave the 12 to show what its got.

On another thread there were some interesting comments about peoples reaction to the 12 and after having a visitor tonight I can confirm they were really complimentary about the design. This from someone who normally sails a dart 18!

I still haven't managed to sort out any pictures but will do as soon as I can to find out just what I've got!!!!!!

Mack
2966 (nearly ready to sail!!!!)

RogerBrisley

This seems to be all about New Boats! what about older AC boats as a way in

Roger

Roly Mo

Excellent!  Really good fun to view and eye-catching.

Team Roly Mo

philipcosson

Grazz,

This is fantastic - great job.

I think you should add the carbon fibre construction of hull as well.

One could do another one for AC/vintage boats emphasising the variety of hull shape and other desirapbe points (like price)

browser testing: on my mac - firefox works well (but is a bit jittery withmouse movements), IE 5.02 (the most recent for mac) is OK, but I get the Red background behind all the links), Safari does not work at all really - most of the effects stick on or dont show at all. Best to put a line on the link to say which browsers are supported.

Philip
N3253 - just off for a sail now...
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

THG

Must agree - MOST of the folks new to the class buy an AC (or even Vintage) and later on come to a DB.  Anyone have any info on how many folks just buy a DB 12 (i.e. those that may have never owned / sailed a 12 before)?

The AC route is a GREAT VALUE for money way into 12s.  Yes - they are wetter to sail but I don't think any ACers capsized at BW (maybe wrong!).

I think this adds something to help people find out about our Class but just need to expand / tweak it a bit.  I few quotes from recent converts may help (use those also for marketing at Dinghy show).

Kean

THG

icecreamman

Well done Graham fantastic bit of wizardry there. As plenty of folk have already mentioned, why not do something like this for the AC boats as I suspect that a lot of folk coming in or thinking of coming in to the class may choose this option. If anyone is coming in via the DB option they may well be aware of many of our trick bits.

Jimbo41

Graham, nice work!!

What about a link from this page into a revamped design page? You could then introduce the options of AC or DB. Might be premature to link to the for sale list directly, since this is often a month out of date, but a telephone number (to Janet) might be an idea.

Also probs with Safari browser on Mac.

Jim N3130 (Trash the rest, N12's are the best!)

grazz

Thanks for the feedback everyone, all your suggestions sound good. Will make the changes then publish it.

Will also work on an Admiral cup version. To aid me do you have any suggestions for the 12 best things about an Admiral cup 12?

philipcosson

icecreamman

Graham I suspect that we or more correctly you could do the AC boats in a very similar way to the DB ones. A lot of the things like sails, foils, crew etc are the same for both categories of boat. As Philip Cosson has mentioned the biggest difference between the two types of boat is cost (as far as any experienced 12 sailor goes). Getting into the niceties of some of his latter points may prove a big awkward so concentrate on the points 4 to 8 and add in point 10. I think I can speak for all of us and say that one of the best things about the 12 whatever type you sail is the other folks that surround you and sail them as well.

THG

The AC / DB is a bit of a double edged sword and could also put some folks off (why 2 types of baots both 12s).  Need to be careful in how to provide this message as comparing the two types may put people off a DB (e.g. they may want a self drainer but then we say an AC is more stable after capsizing?).

I'm still of the opinion that relatively few folks go straight for a DB without some experience and maybe those that have gone that route without support have found the boat unmanagable.  The ACs do have an advantage of a lower cost entry point and maybe more forgiving (?).

Can we combine the pics with how the 12 has developed - so folks have the options of vintage (lots of nice wood, stabler designs (??) through the 4 plank, ACs to the latest DB.  Having a more visual comparison is a great tool for potential buyers to look at.  Sorry Grazz a bit more work..

The more options can be confusing - recently read an article about choice - if you are asked tea or coffee no problem - but say you had 10 choices of coffee can put people under stress making choices.  So too much choice can be a problem RS200 - do you want grey or ....etc
THG

philipcosson

Iv'e changed my mind. When I came to think about it I was really scraping around for things to say to get to the magic number (12)

I don't think we need a AC version of the graphic - Graz should just do it as is to represent where the class is at the moment.

Philip
N3253

n12 Bottom Banner