National 12 - find out more...

Saltash - anyone out there??

Started by THG, 25 Sep 2006, 06:15

« previous - next »

THG

Saltash seemed to be quite a strong location in the past but we don't seem to have any active forumites or Saltash boats going to any events.

Anyone know any active 12 sailors we could contact?

Thanks,

Kean

THG

John Murrell (Guest)

Kean,

to the best of my knowledge no-one is sailing Twelves at Saltash now.
Nathan has moved on to other clubs, Tommo has almost forgotten what his boat looks like, Kath Refson sprogged, Gill went South,Simon is reputedly sorting out O'crikey, Mad Dog's new boat is in my garage waiting for him to return to the UK and I am waiting for my refurbishment...........

However Salcombe is going the other way (again!) so far 4 boats on the water with 2 very quick people making the right noises and they have a lot of experience in the class too.

Tom Jefferies

Well i was the last 12 to be sailing there on a regular basis racing pretty much every week last season. I stopped sailing there due to time restrictions and having no one to racing against! But as the fleet at salcombe is growing is it time to get an open meeting at saltash again? It was allways a good event but people from other clubs really needed to attend! i would be happy to talk to the club about having an open next year but is there enough support from the class?! If anyone want to talk about a possible open post here or my number is in the book
Tommo
N3229
N3438

THG

Tommo - thanks for the reply - I'm working with John M and others to see what events we can schedule for 07.  When was the last Saltash event - looks like 03?  Any idea on how many boats attended?  I fully agree we need to get enough boats to support - we need to take that into consideration when setting up the calendar for next season.  Does the Club have a minimum number on what its looking for?  Is a shared event with another suitable Class a possibility?

Kean
THG

Tom Jefferies

I think in 2003 there were about 8 boats that attended but 4 of those were boats from the club that are now not racing there on a weeky basis. In the past the event has always taken place at the beginning of june when the town has their regatta. This is for logistic resons for the club. For an increase in numbers i think that it important to have the event outside of college/university term time because alot of people who may attend locally are at uni or college. I think that we would need to have 6/8 boats to make it a viable event for the club to run.
tommo
N3438

nath (Guest)

This was disscussed with John Murrell at the nationals and a few mutterings suggested not going to saltash! I wouldnt attend out pf principle with their attitude to youth and the 12's in the past. This is largely to do with the fleet dieing there! University cannot be used as an excuse as we'd all left the club before uni.

nath

Tom_Gruitt_www.fotoboat.com

yes, the clubs attitude to dinghy sailing is not very high, well this is the feeling I get anyway. i agree with naths comment, most people had left before any of us thought of going to uni!

THG

So what's the consensus on Saltash then?  They seem to have both not supported the yoof and don't seem to like 12s much - time to mend bridges or just move on?  No point in arranging a location if no-one wants to support it (for whatever reasons).

I've never sailed at the Club - only in Plymouth Sound (Student yoof nationals - only a couple of years ago  ;) or so it seems....).

Kean
THG

John Murrell (Guest)

Kean,

Forget Saltash - I spoke to them this morning and apathy ruled! We could join in the Saltash Regatta (in the h/cap class) if we wanted too, however the date wasn't forthcoming despite the fact that all the PPSA clubs have a meeting soon to diary everything.

I will email the other contacts to you this evening.

J

Jimbo41

Come on you lads - stop flogging a dead whatsit!

Concentrate your efforts on Salcombe and Starcross. Far better bets if you ask me.

Cheers!

Jim N3130 (With an N12 the World's yer oyster)

P.S. we're coming to BW and Salcoombe (August) next year...

THG

Jimbo - need to check the patient is well and truely dead...don't worry we'll be focusing on the active stuff.
THG

Tom Jefferies

I agree with the points made by nath and it is true that the class has never been warmly recieved by saltash but jimbo there is no point just concentrating on 2 events (which are both well attended anyway) because if you do that the southwest series is dead! As there are now 2 gill events in the southwest would they be enough support to have a sea event sailed from one of the plymouth clubs. I know that a 2 years ago a couple of the clubs in plymouth were interested in running a 12 event. is this an option worth investigating? and what about looe?! another sea event. it was only last year that people were complaining there were not enough sea events and looe (my local club) was removed from the circuit!
tommo
N3438

Jimbo41

The point I'm making is that in order to generate interest in the SW you've got to have focus. Peeps from elsewhere have got to be motivated to get down there. Starcross and Salcombe are popular, but in my opinion we still need more N12s down there.
 Tommo, I'm not excluding Looe either. However, in order for Looe and others to get interested in hosting there has to be a whole set of numbbumbs and sofa potatoes (you know who you are  :P ;)) to be stirred up and ready to go down to the SW to strike fear into the heart of any RS sailor who so much as contemplates setting sail that day (OOOPs - POP! Ive burst my brain :o)

So make publicity and attractiveness for a couple of events and then sell that to the potential organisers of others. The crowds follow on with the appropriate marketing angle.(Yuck, I hate that expression :B)

Jim N3130 (Burn the rest - the N12 is best)

James Taylor

Well all I am going to say is Penzance Sailing Club perfect venue.
But then I would say that as for once I would have to drive that far (for a drift)

As there are only Two really active member it the West would also say Mounts Bay Sailing Club but would prefer PZSC as Home club and would like to get more club members to try a Twelve am going to work on this Idea next year as will (hopefully) being  one of the clubs sailing instuctors can guide people in to a AC N12

PZSC

James & Emma
3304 & 3402

THG

THG

n12 Bottom Banner