National 12 - find out more...

Dangley Poles

Started by martin 1262, 22 Oct 2006, 08:42

« previous - next »

martin 1262

angus

I asked this question about 6 months ago and I can't rember the reply, but know body said there pole was too long I actually made my pole 10cm longer than the longest thinking that I could chop a bit off if needs be. I have had no problems apart from  trying to gouge furrows in the fordeck if I don't let it off enough be fore swapping sides. But thats nothing to do with lenght more incompetance.
I think my pole is about 1.7m but I will check tomorrow.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jib string (Guest)

tedcordall

John Meadowcroft

Pole length used to be restricted to 1.6m.  Most people had max length sticks at this time.  This rule was deleted circa 10 years ago.  Various lengths were subsequently tried and most people tend to still use about 1.6m length now.  

You need the stick at its longest when running goosewinged.  Given the typical jib/main ratios that people use, 1.6m must work well with the foot measurement of a 'standard' jib.  I doubt that you would notice much difference between 1.5m and 1.7m though.

john

janeysailor12

Ah... the black art of the "pole" something I have been trying to figure out for YEARS!!!  I've read all the advice on this thread and it's proved VERY infomative.   It's still a black art though!!  8)

martin 1262

Hi all and thanks for the ideas....

I am planning to travel to Grafham this Saturday, and providing it is not blowing too much will be there with my son.. so I will see if we can get on any better...

I guess if there is a good turnout we will be able to see how others use theirs!

At least I won't be getting a hacksaw to it just yet!!

Martin

:)  8)

RogerBrisley

Martin,

we northerners did a poll by e mail - i think Roly Mo was behind it - and seem to recall 1.6 metres but my new pole is 1.7 like Angus' probably a tad long,  perhaps Roly can find his statistics?

Roger

icecreamman

My first dangley pole was an aluminium one that was originally shot off the boom.....remember those days. I then invested in quid of my hard earned cash in a broken section of carbon fishing rod and in true 12s fashion engineered all the ends. (For that read buy some eyes with plastic outers) and made my first dangley pole. All went well as I must have just got the length right, until that is I went to Norfolk. All went well until I capsized in a blow and the jib stick shattered. Went to an ironmongers and made a purchase of a broom handle to see me through the week. As soon as the week was finished I called P&B and ordered a proper carbon one. A tad more expensive, but it was the right length. I cannot recall how long it was as I have sold the boat now. The point is give Tom a call as he has all the carbon you need at the right length.
 :D

martin 1262

Thanks ICM!

I shall measure this weekend at Grafham. I guess between 1.6 and 1.7m is the average, and I do not think I am so far out from there.

It was interesting to note that it is not just a question of letting it fly out to the max, on a run, but using it to adjust the leech tension, on beam and broad reaches.

It does flap around alot, when sailing to windward, any ideas on stopping that, I think the elastic shock cord has seen better days, and someone at the club mentioned velcro keep it up the the mast, has anyone got any better ideas?

Martin

angus

I tie mine directly to the jib, It light airs I need to put it on a bit to stop it pulling the jib out of shape but over wise it is fine.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Jimbo41

Martin,

A touch of velcro on the mast and somewhere on the pole might help -  it's in the "Tuning Guide" or "Getting Started", I think.

Cheers!

Jim.

JohnMurrell

Jim,

I gave up on the velcro idea, the pole never seemed to want to catch properly and the loop end was always empting Smalls of sand!

The small amount of drag created by the pole 'flapping' in the slot is neglible - the worst bit is hearing the pole knocking on the mast!

John

simon ballantine

I taped a bit of closed-cell foam around the pole at it's llower end.  It still bangs against the mast but I can't hear it.

Jimbo41

Good idea Simon! I've got plenty of foam lying around in my padded cell..... ;) ;) ;)

Jim N3130 (knock on wood)

n12 Bottom Banner