National 12 - find out more...

Dry suit repair - recommendations

Started by THG, 30 Oct 2006, 02:25

« previous - next »

THG

After our taking the waters and then our mast breaking - we had very little boat damage (thanks to good rescue crew) - however the end of the mast went through my dry suit, under suit and some of my knee.

Its a Typhoon breathable suit (2 seasons old) - so any suggestion s/ recommendations on how to get it fixed up?  Is it a diy job or best left to professionals?

Kean
THG

rick perkins

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Kevin

Drysuit, back to Typhoon as Rick suggests.

Undersuit, at the risk of being branded sexist, sounds like a job for a female Gunton in return for a meal at her favourite restaurant (may be cheaper to buy a new suit).

Knee, go to your local chandlers, buy yourself some whipping twine, a sailmaker's needle and palm and do-it-yourself!!!

Kevin

Tom_Gruitt_www.fotoboat.com

Martin

I am on my second Typhoon Drysuit now. My previous one was sent back to Typhoon twice for repair. Basically  on receipt they check it over to confirm what needs doing and give a quote.  On the second ocassion there was so much additional work they reckoned that that needed doing in addition to the damage I was aware of, and the cost was going to be about half of what a replacement was going to cost.  Perhaps rather foolishly I told them not to bother sending it back and I now wonder what became of it!!

My advice would be proceed carefully.

Managed to put a small hole in the  knee on my latest Typhoon not so long ago.  (The only reason I bought another was the discount offered by the chandler at the time)  repaired it myself using a cycle puncture repair kit and so far it has held well.

I understand that Musto outsource their drysuit repair work.  A mate of mine found out who the company was and dealt with them direct second time around.  Very good repairs and very affordable.  Wish I could remember the name of the company...............

THG

Mast is with Mr Cooke for a repair job and claim form submitted.

Drysuits - I know Gill use Hammond Drysuits in UK for their repair work - wasn't sure about others.  I thought most drysuits come from one factory in Far East but not sure who has local repair stuff.  Looks like professional repair is right way and a kit isn't available.

Kean
THG

tom lee

Tom<br />N3545

THG

Plus there's a nifty heated belt you can add - but do you think she would add too much weight to boat??

http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/pages/surface/detail/id=304

Not sure missus wud approve either!
THG

tedcordall

I've used Andark, who are primarly a diving company. They are based near Southampon. Only had new seals done, rather than a fabric repair but they were both good and reasonably priced. Haven't an address to hand but I'm sure they have a web site. If not mail me and I'll find an address.

TC

philipcosson

Typhoon do repairs at their factory in Limerick Road, Redcar, Cleveland.

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&hs=GT8&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=typhoon&near=Redcar&radius=0.0&latlng=54603006,-1077626,3433350921975403841&sa=X&oi=local&ct=result&cd=1

I had a small hole in my breathable drysuit knee (less than a year old) and took it to the factory in person - they heatwelded it in 5 minutes for free - thats good service.

Philip
N3253
6 miles from Redcar!
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

n12 Bottom Banner