National 12 - find out more...

Good Boat Names

Started by tedcordall, 03 Nov 2006, 05:45

« previous - next »

matt (Guest)

slightly off thread but some of the rock climbs around weymouth have amusing names. .... I particularly like 'never drive a car when you are dead' which as well as being good advice makes me giggle. pity its not original - derived from a tom waites song - but tis been put to good use.

Little Bo

Our turquoise Crusader 88 was 'Aquaholic' and we did ponder on Aquafrolic for the Chapter but Ellie immediately christened it Roly Mo on the basis that it's green and purple, just like a character in the Fimbles (god bless children's TV!).  With kids of a certain age previous owner Antony Gifford now understands the background to the name!  Ellie decided the Mirror should be 'Little Bo' (small pink creature in the Fimbles, closely related to Roly Mo),  but we balked at the pink colour scheme she wanted for the paint (imagine the clash with red sails!).  

Now busy investigating the background to the name Xanthus, our latest acquisition (N2149).

icecreamman

Try Nigel as he is Geoff's son, he should be able to cast some light on that subject. I have a sneaking feeling that looking up Greek god's names may also help

:)

Jerry G (Guest)

1) My parents once had a Mirror painted red with black spots and the name Ladybird on the transom in the same style as the childrens clothing brand.
2) Saw an Albacore once with name painted right down each side "Passing Wind".
3) My first 12 was called Chrisp when bought, obviously some personal meaning to the owner, so I had it changed to Crisp.  Sailed in a handicap event at Rutland Water and hauled out between races right next to a boat called Golden Wonder.

Pip

There's an albacore at BCYC which is completely white apart from the name which is in blue and the name "Almost blue". Apparently when the boat was ordered they asked for it to be blue but were some what suprised to find a white boat.

tedcordall

I think this thread has just about run its course.

The winner of the 'that made me grin' name stakes by a short head has to be:

"I've had your Mumm!"

TC

janeysailor12

Jimbo41

HI Janey!

How about:   Buy1get14free; pass the skiff; Spinach-Steamer; hoggin' the joint, cuttin' the breeze; Cheeze on Breeze; Wavehog; leanback and...; Pork centreboard; Chuckit Bucket; Chunder Thunderer; Cruze2Bruze; or even  Synergy of Sex and Chocolate?

For connaiseurs "Unbearable Lightness of Being"

Take your pick....I prefer Cheeze on Breeze and Cruze2Bruze with Chunder Thunderer coming close...

Cheers!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jim N3130 and 3470 (Both wood - that's good!)

TimGoodhew

ah the other boat ive seen around has the words
"www.needasponsor.co.uk" down the side.

found that one fairly humourous too!

//www.needasponsor.co.uk is coincidentally the link for it...

not sure if its a name but its clever anyway..

Barry

Hugh Chardon - most excellent!!! - the penny drops.

Very much in the same vein as "Norfolk and Chance".

Barry
N3364

Mikey C

There was a Cherub called Norfolk in Chance...
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

angus

On the subject of rock climbs my favourate was dinosaur but up in the sixties by a teenager on 900ftblank lump of granite in the cairngorms. Yeh youve guessed it. cause he had a long neck very little brains as was heading for extinction. (Although I think he is still alive today, he was last time I saw him anyway!).
Boat names I keep thinking up great ones only to think they are stupid a few days later.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

JimC (Guest)

[quote by=Mikey_C link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool,m=1162575940,s=25 date=1162935581]There was a Cherub called Norfolk in Chance...[/quote]

IMNSHO The best Cherub name (and best boat name) of all time was "Last Chance Power Drive", which is a line from Springsteen's Born to Run.  Song lyrics are always a good source... if your taste runs to that kind of music "Oops I did it again" might be fun...  I have a Cherub that rejoices in the name Queenie Sarah Jane Blucher, goodness only knows why: very unusually for a Cherub its the original name.

THG

I think there are many great 12 names currently Max Factor (what happened Elizabeth Arden?? - old joke),  Carbonara etc.

Not a boat name but came across a Company at work called Avago Technologies - maybe a rival to Mr Cooke?

Kean
THG

TimGoodhew

THE CATS PYJAMAS!

yeah.. forgot about our own boat in trying to think of names..   :P

n12 Bottom Banner