National 12 - find out more...

Toestraps

Started by MattStiles, 06 Nov 2006, 06:08

« previous - next »

MattStiles

My toestraps were a casualty of Grafham - they were screwed down to a reinforcing point on the floor of the boat  - and our combined weight pulled the screws out.  Currently it's a single toestrap for helm and crew, anchored down in the middle.  I got some longer screws --- but before I fix it this way I'm wondering if there's a more sensible place to anchor them.  How do other folks toestraps work on timber A/Cs (a Tigress if that makes any difference..)

Thanks,
Matt

martin 1262

Matt,

Perhaps having a lighter crew might work!

My apologies for wrecking your boat!!! But I am sure it's easy enough to fix.

I think my anchoring point is bolted throught he hull, with a staninless stell plate on the inside to spread the load... Just need to make sure the outside of the hull is counterbored and filled in.

Also think that the fixing in along an internal brace...

Hope you get it sorted

Regards

Martin

Jimbo42

icecreamman

If things get desperate, have a block glued to the floor of the boat and have a bolt from the outside to a pad on top of your toe straps. It works and I never pulled that out of the floor of my really old boat. If anything goes in this instance I would guess your toe straps are rotten.
 ;D

MattStiles

Thanks all,
Will go for longer screws for now and perhaps bolts when she gets her winter facelift.
Sailing with Nos 2 and 3 Crews tomorrow so only 4st 2lb and 3st odd respectively in the front anyhow :-)

Matt

n12 Bottom Banner