National 12 - find out more...

Yardsticks

Started by RLSC, 13 Nov 2006, 05:05

« previous - next »

RLSC

Hello

I apologose if this question has been asked before. I am a new to this board, so i would really appreciate your help and advice.

I am the results secretary at a midlands sailing club, and we have a few N12's that are competing in handicap racing adjusted for PY.

Two of the N12's racing are 27 years old, whilst a third is about 18 years old.

Do the N12 association use the same PY rating for older boats when holding open meetings or at your Nationals etc ....

I have been tasked with finding out if we could use a more favorable yardstick for the older N12's that we have at our club, as the helms do not feel it is fair that we are using a yardstick appropriate to a brand new N12 !

The Merlin Rocket fleet provide the adjusted ratings based on sail number (hence age of boat). do the N12 association run a similar system.

If so, is this corrected for wind strength at all. Even the 27 year old N12 pretty much clean up at our club with the modern PY when its a very light wind.

I clearly want to offer a fair yardstick to the N12's across an average of wind conditions at our club.

What is the considered opinion please.

Sincere thanks to all who reply.

Ed Dixon

sinker24

Tom, this is a common discussion topic! The newest ones race on 1098, i think, but the organisation has some non-offical PYs that can be used at the club's discretion. I don't know all of them but i raced my old Paper Dart 12 (sail no. 2743) on 1130 and that worked fine. it was one of the best handicaps in the fleet, even beating the stupidly high one of the new Topazs.
Hope this is of some help,
Ben N2743

Nathan Harding

I thought the new ones were 1093?

nath

Antony (Guest)

Ed,
The answer is that we do have a similar system to that of the Merlins, and indeed have had such a system for years.  It is very simple, in that all we did when it was created was to look back at the PY numbers of the 12 in the past periods and adjust that to the new numbering system.  

There is no adjustment for wind strengths, i think that it is fair to say that old 12s were always very competitive in light winds and they remain so.  This is not surprising when you think that 12s do not plane up wind and have no trapeze (just for starters).

I do not have the numbers to hand (I am at work), but will try to email them to you.  If you ask your 12 sailors they are published in the 'yearbook' that the NTOA sends to all its members in the spring.

Antony
Chairman, NTOA

RLSC

Many thanks for your reply Anthony.

If you could email me the figures you have at home I would be very grateful

My email address is ed_dixon@talk21.com

Again. Many thanks

ed

RLSC

Just to add to my previous post, the yardstick we are currently using is 1093

The helm who had made the request for the sailing committe to investigate a modified PY is sailing a 27 yr old Pipe Dream.

Thanks

ed

RogerBrisley

Anthony

I have been given to believe that 12's will plane upwind,  even design 8's!  Is this just a story?

Roger

n12 Bottom Banner