National 12 - find out more...

annoncing the international 12

Started by coward (Guest), 16 Nov 2006, 09:02

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Marry! Methinks thou taketh thyself for a wag?

'tis already in the making - thy jester's apparel doth thee great injustice when thou uttereth truth thus....

'tis a pitty she's a skiff.. (Sorry William)

tedcordall

re "noncing the 12"

"many commercial training centres might be interested."

....or they might not. Many epithets might describe the 12, but are 'stable' and 'forgiving' amongst them?

Making the 12 into a twelve foot skiff sounds great though. ........except that you can go out and buy one already an any degree of skiffness you fancy: ie

not extreme - laser mango or RS wango
slightly extreme - 29er
extreme - cherub
very extreme - 12 foot skiff

Perhaps the cobbler should stick to his (or her) last. Other classes such as Albacores don't seem to feel the need for kite but as a class seem very buoyant.

davidg (Guest)

I can't help but laugh.  Exactly 20 years ago Rob Peebles designed and I came up with a marketing plan for the "Quantum Dinghy".  

I quote from the original business plan;-
... 1/2 price of any dinghy of comparable performance
... can be adapted to meet requirements of crew .. two sail, singlehanded or three sail
... boat supplied ready to go
... vacuum formed
... space frame system
... self draining cockpit

The idea was that you had a cheap mass produced vacuum formed hull and you just bolted in different module space frames to vary the geometry for each sailing mode.

We had a plastics wizz who was working on a Richard Rogers project with Rob at the time who had the structures sorted.

Unfortunately the plug makers were from the automotive industry and failed to deliver a fair plug, if they had, I suspect (hope) that we would have been too ahead of the times.

Anyway the easiest way to make a small fortune in the marine industry is to start with a large one!

I should add that there were no Topper or Laser or RS two man boats of any note at that time.

Good times.

David
N3461

Jimbo41

The Albacores seem a friendly bunch - they have a similar philosophy to the 12s.They say that an Albacore is very versatile without compromising its performance. So while it's quicker than a Laser, it's not so cumbersome as a Wayfarer..... A bit like us eh?  :D

Ted, the Albacores were considering using our Dangly-Pole system in 2000. Do you know if they adopted it permenantly?

Cheers!

Jim N3130 and 3470 (No longer ranting on....)

philipcosson

Jim,

'wot no woody epithet?' ...or should than be snowclone?

Philip
N3253
Philip<br />ex N3367, ex N3253

philipcosson

tedcordall

[quote by=Jimbo41 link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool,m=1163667720,s=4 date=1163682388]

Ted, the Albacores were considering using our Dangly-Pole system in 2000. Do you know if they adopted it permenantly?

Cheers!

Jim N3130 and 3470 (No longer ranting on....)[/quote]

Yes, I did a couple of years crewing on one. Very useful thing, the dandly pole, but very annoying as it whangs about. Never found a reliable system for automatically restraining it tho. The main reason to have a carbon dangly pole is that it is quieter!

TC

philipcosson

tedcordall

The 29er is a bargain. It operates in the same sort of crew weight area as the 12, is relatively tippy and downwind likes to nosedive in big gusts if the crew are a bit slow. It is a very nicely designed boat.

The draw back is that it doesn't like shallow water (having a dagger board and rudder) and being fairly swift is best on large expanses of water. Dodging between moored yachts (or flocks of learners in their picos) with the kite up is very stressful.

Horses for courses.

A skiff is a lightweight boat. I had a rowing skiff once.  :P
Now though, in this context, how about - a sailing dinghy light and powerful enough to plane upwind in the majority of wind conditions?

Examples: 18 and 12 foot skiffs, int 14s, cherubs and int moths would qualify,
isos, laser4000 and n12 wouldn't.

TC

Lukepiewalker

In my experience of interwebnet discussion and that, it is best not to suggest anything is a skiff unless it's Orstralian and known by numbers alone...
I've seen people get quite upset when it is suggested that something else is called a skiff.... :P
Even if it's Orstralian and designed by a Bethwaite....

THG

Does Skiffy the Bush Kangaroo qualify then?   :P

Kean

THG

Lukepiewalker

Need to be Skiffy the 18 or 12 foot Kangaroo......
Honest, I've seen people who don't consider 14 and 16 ft skiffs to be skiffs....

tedcordall

What's a 16 foot skiff when its at home (in Oz presumably)? I've seen all the others. Must do a web search.

Isn't offending people who have narrow minds the purpose of webchat? Perhaps I'm missing something.

TC

tedcordall

Just looked. Looks exciting, but looks like any other xx foot skiff. ie several large men with large testicles on trapezes. I note that there also appears to be a 13 foot skiff. Is there a 15 foot skiff  too, I wonder.

TC

n12 Bottom Banner