National 12 - find out more...

Carbon Mast

Started by Jon_P, 17 Mar 2007, 12:31

« previous - next »

Jon_P

Having spent the day on the stand at the boat show looking at the nice full carbon rig, and getting depressed and how mine looked in comparison, I am considereing making the plunge to a carbon mast?  

Anyone got any ideas of the best manufactures?

Anyone got one going 2nd hand?

Antony (Guest)

Jon_P

That puts a dampner on that idea then!!

I din't they would be that much as I can buy a mast for the Vareo for 400 and that was at LDC prices!!
Might have to a have a rethink!

Thanks Antony.

MikeDay

JohnMurrell

Mike,

I am sure that the quoted sum is a bit on the high side even if you include the boom. I am sure that Frankie didn't charge anywhere near that last year, but he did supply a suit of sails to go with it so possibly I tried to break his arm....................................

John

Mikey C

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

THG

THG

Jon_P

What's the idea behind a carbon boom, is it just weight?  I can;t imagine it having the same impact as the mast?

THG

probbaly just weight - but since I swapped to a carbon rig at start of last year getting hit on head by boom is MUCH less painful  :B  - also seems to make it easier when rigging / handling again due to the weight.

There are more options around for a lower cost carbon boom, home building or possibly using old broken masts as a source.

Kean

THG

Jimbo41

I agree! I'm much more likely to attempt a jibe now....  :D

Jim N3470

Mikey C

carbon boom is more usefull in my opinion as it is free weight - you can save kilos off all up and not pay for it in lead... same with a nice light rudder.

rick perkins

[quote by=Mikey_C link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1169037072,s=10 date=1169139184]carbon boom is more usefull in my opinion as it is free weight - you can save kilos off all up and not pay for it in lead... same with a nice light rudder.[/quote]

Would it not be better to include them in the weight to stop people spending excessive cash on these light weight items?

It would also be easier to have an all-up sailing weight rather than some items in and some out ... that way you could have a nice simple rule....

Rick

regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Mikey C

That would be lovely. Good luck!

JohnMurrell

James Taylor

If you go down the route of getting a new mast then taking the boat to P&B is worth it we did it the day before Grafham Gill and Tom also fitted the rig for us and made sure that everything fitted.
Well worth the trip east, its all so far from here. ;D

James and Emma
3304 Up for Sale

P.s. John are you still a class measure need to come and see you if you are .

n12 Bottom Banner