National 12 - find out more...

Vintage 12 Photos at Ranelagh

Started by Nick Price (Guest), 15 Mar 2007, 09:37

« previous - next »

Nick Price (Guest)

Just up loaded some old Ranelagh photos from the 60's. Were you there?

http://www.ranelagh-sc.co.uk/n12_vintage_photos.htm

Jimbo41

I particularly like the bottom, second from left photo, where Gypsy (N1) seems to be developing a turn of speed just before the barge.....

I really love old photos of 12s. Salcombe Sailing Club's lounge has a few and I can stand for hours just looking at B&W photos of 12s sailing near Bolt Head.

Hint: to know what I mean and also have John Murrell forever in your debt  ;D, just come down for Salcombe Week just after BW.....

Cheers!

Jim.

THG

Blimey!!  some of the 12 pics had 30 starters sometime in March back in early 60s - probably don't even have wet suits - just wooly pullies and rubber wellies ???!!!  We seem tohave fewer sailing now even with the modern comforts - but global warming could mean shorties in 'winter' though  ;)

Take a look at the Merlins - they have one pic and type has 91 starters!!!!  :o  on a restricted water!!  Did they have better boat control in those days or perhaps the sport was just more 'gentlemanly'???

Kean

THG

Barry

The boats were not as wide!

Barry
N3364

JohnMurrell

The sad thing is that I actually remember days like those!

From memory I joined Ranelagh in the autumn of '71 or '72, and yes Kean - wetsuits? What were they? My sailing kit was good old fashioned jeans or possible worn out loons (go on, who remembers those?) with an oiled wool handknitted jumper, the sort that weighed a ton when wet and sagged passed the knees from the sheer volume of water retained in it with plimpsoles as footwear.

And we didn't dare to capsize, if we did a trip to Fulham Hospital was called for to have a quick stomach pump - yes the river really was that filthy then. Lots of stories like when the river police were removing a body from under the moored barges during a race...........................

I had a Lucky Number, 2368, called Upsurge in them there days.

Jimbo41

Steady on John!

All that talk of filthy water, dead bodies under barges and stomach pumps makes me feel like having an "upsurge" too :o

Like the plug for Salcombe Week?

Cheers!

Jim.

Nick Price (Guest)

John,
In the 70's I have you down as sailing 2425 and then "Bullet", 2672?
Nick

JohnMurrell

Blimey Nick!

Yup, got it right 2425, Bedlam was a Mr Jones design.

I bought 2368 form a certain Mr Roddy McDowell if my memory serves me, she having sat in the shed at Ranelagh for a couple of years when he emigrated to the States. In those days I didn't drive so 2368 was brought back to Devon to use in college holidays and 2425 kept at Ranelagh for term time use. It was cheaper to have two boats rather than having driving lessons and buying a car and much less hassell than finding somewhere to park in Putney ( even in those days!)

John

Dave Croft (Guest)

Hi John,

I believe Bedlam ended up with Will Munday at Twickenham for a while, wasn't she painted yellow? I remember Will ordering two suits of sails from Mike Mac when VAT was aboput to go up to 25% for luxury goods! Who remembers 25% VAT???

Sorry I won't be at Ranelagh this week-end - Cadet zone squad at Rutland!

Cheers,

Dave

DavidW

I remember 25% VAT - I seemed to have a lot of trouble with leaking bouyancy bags at the time and was delighted that they classed as safety equipment and attracted the lower rate!

The good news was that prizes for the numerous club series that Henley SC ran were vouchers for the local chandler!

Wonder if we'll see as many starters on Sunday?

Cheers
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Nick Price (Guest)

David,
Look forward to seeing you Sunday. You were sailing 2730, Orient Express in this event 31 years ago!
Nick

yer tiz

Blimey! I wasn't but my boat was.   Middle pic '1851' moored up by the 'suites' hopefully, that wasn't their sailing attire!

I have owned 1851 for nearly 20yrs, my friend in the Lake District had her for a few years prior to this.   I would be very interested in the missing 25 or so yrs, do you know any of her history or have any other photo's?

best rgds
Mark

Nick Price (Guest)

I'll have a look but as this was an Open meeting it may not have been based at Ranelagh. You'd be surprised at some of the gear that was worn in the old days!
Nick

n12 Bottom Banner