National 12 - find out more...

N12 survey - what do we want?

Started by Jimbo42, 01 Jun 2007, 11:38

« previous - next »

Jimbo42

Jimbo42

Boing!

Surely the stats are not that difficult, or do we have to wait until the BW AGM?

Jim (pressure, pressure, pressure ;D)

THG

THG

Jimbo41

Thanks Kean!

Low cost ways to carry more crew weight combined with sail plan / rig changes would be a personal interest.  If one does the latter (increase in efficiency, power etc.) without the former, then again lighter crews are again at an advantage. Alternatively, the former, without the latter would also make things fairer.

Cheers!

Jim.  N3470

rick perkins

[quote by=Jimbo42 link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1180737530,s=5 date=1180986790]I 14, B14, laser 4000 and 49er seem to have a variable width and (for some) fixed minimum weight. Anyone underweight has to stick weight onto the hull and in the case of the 49er on the transom (ugh!). [/quote]

Not correct ... only the L4000 uses weight equalisation. All the others have a max width and min weight just like a N12
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Jimbo41

Rick,
Sorry to contradict your contradictum, but at least in the case of the 49er, there is a minimum class crew weight AND a proscribed weight correction to be hung on the hull transom. I got this information from a mate at our club who is the Bavarian Champion, sails the Swedish Olympic team's old boat (and boy is it tuned!) and should know what he's talking about. Of course, the variable width is up to a max! Another mate showed me how he can adjust the width of the outriggers on his I 14 to suit the crew weight and balance out his crew righting moment. I didn't ask him if it was legal though... :D

Andrew Scoones (know him Rick?) also of our club showed me how he can change the width of the outriggers on his Laser 4000 to suit his wife's weight too.

I might have got it wrong for the B14 though. Looking through the class rules, it does state that there shall be no weight equalisation method used on the boat, but a max equipment weight worn of 10Kg....

Cheers!

Jim.

rick perkins

Jim,

You are wrong ... why not do some research rather than trotting out hearsay ...

After the 2004 Olympics the 49er dropped the weight equalisation.

See

http://www.sailing.org/classes/ClassRules/2005/49errules2005.pdf

Section C.6

All competitive 14's are build to max width as are 12's ...
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

John Meadowcroft

Jim

Rick is right.  Originally the 49er and B14 did have weigth equalisation systems but they were quickly dropped because it was essentially crap.  If you read the class rules you will see that the racks are to be set at the widest positions...

There is no such rule in 14s.

Jimbo41

Sorry lads,

Maybe they do things differently in Bavaria, or as a backwater are more relaxed and just don't care... :-/

Rick, hearsay is reporting on reported speech. I heard this directly from these guys and saw it done.

It would appear that you want to find fault in whatever I say on this discussion forum and you don't understand the humour and irony in what I say. I don't think you are applying the right marketing approach here. Nevertheless I am still prepared to shake hands with you and offer you an olive branch 'cos these things should not go on for ever.  :B

Jim.

THG

Handbags at dawn for Rick & Jim at BW!!   ;D

Calm down boys - have a piece of cheese  :D

THG

Jimbo41

janeysailor12

[quote by=Jimbo42 link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1180737530,s=5 date=1180986790]I 14, B14, laser 4000 and 49er seem to have a variable width[/quote]

Err No!!!  B14 width is'nt variable....when the racks are out they're out!!  and you DON'T sail with them in

Jane.

P.S.  Whilst we are on the subject of survey's. what happend to the "trials" regarding which boats plane faster...damp squb!?  :-/

Jimbo41

n12 Bottom Banner