National 12 - find out more...

Varnish or Oil

Started by Alistair (Guest), 29 May 2007, 10:42

« previous - next »

Alistair (Guest)

I have just acquired a vintage 12 (clinker built and Gaff rig).  Is it best too varnish it or use an oil recipe (linseed ???).  Also there is a metal strip that runs the length of its bottom (underside) that needs replacing, anyone got any ideas as too what it might be and how it is fixed (looks like pins as far as I can make out).

Thanks

alistair

GarryR

The keel band is usually made of concave brass drilled and fixed with countersunk brass screws on boats of your age. Available from classic marine

http://www.classicmarine.co.uk/

I think the gaff rig is unusual - - from what I know of National 12's they arealways  bermudan rigs - did early 12's have a wooden topped mast though fitted into the lower section.  Someone better qualified than me could give you info on this point.  

Garry

johnk

If my memory is correct, Ian Proctor sailed a 12 with a gaff rig for a bit.

JohnKn

There's a photo of Proctor and the gaff main at the 1953 Burton in "The story of the National Twelves" (plate 9, facing p.49)

John
JohnKn
N1662

Tim Gatti

Hi Alistair - just picked up your post. Don't know if you've got an answer to your query about wood finish yet?

I used a marine product- Deks Olje- a Swedish boat oil, when I renovated N341 last year.  

Search on Google if you need more info.

You strip and sand then apply the thin penetrating D1 oil - lots of coats over a day.  Then apply several finish coats - you guessed it ...D2.  Much easier to use than varnish and the results are superb.

It gives a flexible, non-cracking, but shiny surface just right for clinker construction as it doesn't crack as the wood moves and flexes.  Can send you some photos of the finished article if required.

ChrisBerkley

I've heard of this product over the years but not seen it in use.  I would also be interested in results data and photos.

chris

Tim Gatti

Chris /Alastair - quite forgot - I've posted a couple of photos of N341 post- restoration on the N12 boat database.  Just look her up and scroll down the entry to find them. Cheers. Tim

n12 Bottom Banner