National 12 - find out more...

Spinnaker Open Meeting Sat 14th

Started by Phil Brown, 09 Jul 2007, 11:26

« previous - next »

Phil Brown

Who's coming?

http://www.spinnakerclub.co.uk/index.htm

Saturday 14 July, 4 races, 1st race 11:00

Our fleet continues to grow with another new member this week. We're on the up!

Look forward to seeing you

(sunny)
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

THG

How many do you have down there now?

Should be there this weekend - providing forecast is not like last Saturday!!!

Kean
THG

MikeDay

Anne, Flipside and I will be there and expect hot sun and gentle breeze.  Please take all necessary steps ...

Mike D
N3496

Mike S

Yes Alex & I will be there in our first official outing as paid up members of the double bottom club. As of yesterday, Matt & Joe Stiles were also planning on coming to give the newer boats a run for their money.

Can we camp at the club on Friday night?

Mike
N3491
N3274

jammy dodger

Hi there, unfortunately we are not allowed to have anyone camping on site, however there are a number of sites locally. If you like, I will help you find one. Let me know.
To my knowledge, we will have seven Spinnaker 12's there, we are hoping James' father will sail his as he is away.
Simon

Alex D

Martha and I plan to be there with Grimley, but I expect we'll need to sharpen up a bit :)
Alex <br />(ex N3455, N3246)

Phil Brown

[quote by=Mike_Day link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1183976779,s=2 date=1183997272]Anne, Flipside and I will be there and expect hot sun and gentle breeze.  Please take all necessary steps ...

Mike D
N3496[/quote]

No problem - Simon has promised . . .

and in answer to Kean, I think we have 9 boats now

See you ;)
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

MattStiles

Not sure if we can do it, Joe has a school play the night before so might not be good for much.  Have to see how it goes.

Matt

jammy dodger

I think it only fair to mention we have some weed problems, but not massive or too disruptive. I tell you this so you can quickly manufacture your 'kelp sticks'. Take one length of bamboo, one old coathanger. Cut bamboo to length of rudder, cut hanger to Y shape about three inches across, slot hanger into bamboo, add a bit of tape to hold it in and it's job done.
I only came to a grinding halt once last night, this was wehen I realised I had left my kelp stick on the shore. In my efforts to remove the weed I must have knocked the rudder loose on the pintles, I discovered this slightly later when we accelerated rather briskly in a gust and the rudder flew off spectacularly (positive bouyancy) leaving us at highish speed with no steerage! Fortunately I had the damn thing tied on so a recovery was possible, but have you ever tried to fit an extremely bouyant and badly behaved stock back on to two tiny pintles going around in ever decreasing circles.
Guess I'd better get it fixed for Saturday... Look forward to seeing you all.
Simon N3454

THG

Simon - a quick solution - thats one problem the 12 suffers from is collecting weed esp. at the bow - I tend to send a small crew along the fore deck - but will look to construct a 2nd 'dangly pole' for the purposes of weed  >:( removal.  Its also why I'd never have a fixed rudder sailing on a pond - have even considered having a second balde shaped more like Solos (which also often sail with them pulled up in the light & weedy stuff).

Kean
THG

Jimbo41

Jimbo41

THG

Which Class rule stops that?  I only send him up front in light conditions and hold onto the ankles (its not a permanent position - but can help in tight photo finishes  ;D )

Having a weedy pole is OK?

Kean
THG

jammy dodger

The blade does come up, it's just the way it does it with the force of the Titanic hitting that iceberg. This sending the crew along the foredeck stuff sounds interesting, fancy giving us a demo opn saturday?

THG

THG

n12 Bottom Banner