National 12 - find out more...

helms: what makes a good crew

Started by Sophie (Guest), 07 Nov 2007, 08:03

« previous - next »

Jimbo41

Jimbo41

greight expectations

Verflucht nochmal  Ich Mus selb sehen ober dieser sacher evig dauern wird blah blah blah.. annswers on a post card..

Hi Martina I think you are quite wise to apply a reality filter, it helps things to stay upright,  level headed and dry!but persevere with the passsion thing,  jim will conker it!

Jimbo41

icecreamman

yeah come on Jim, some of had to give up German before we took it at O level, you could be writing a load of expletives there!!!!

Jimbo41

I can assure you that there's no really offensive language in use here. Purely the slang one might use in response to the comments made by Charles Dickens. Oh and you might find that out purely by using an online dictionary. In short - don't expect anything greight from me.

Cheers!

Jim. (one must be good at something - if not at the head of the fleet!)

Jimmy Whitehead

Hey,
         just going back to what makes a good crew...... i have found it is often knowing what you, the helm, is like will mean what your crew should be like.... For example i like to win so if my crew doesnt like to win then erm we ant going to get along... I like to sail quitely( believe it or not) so if my crew like to voice opinions then we wont get along.... This is why i think if the helm knows how he likes to sail then he can chose the crew or the crew can chose the helm. From experiance some crews have more skill than others but this doesnt really matter its more of a team game, me being light means i need a heavy crew or a super fit light weight..... Not sure if this makes any sense but just a few of my thoughts

Jimmy

janeysailor12

As some of you may know I also sail a B14 (skiff) where the crew does as much, if not more than the helm in the sailing of the ship.  Crewing a National 12 has helped me no end when I jumped into the B for the first time.  My helm and I adopt a "teamwork" attitude.  Good communication is essential and I'm afraid so is experience.  There's no point whatsoever expecting a person who has never crewed at all or who has limited experience in crewing to be able to jump into a National 12 and crew to winning standard.  If I can remember back that far the 1st time I crewed a National 12 I had'nt a clue, and the result spoke for itself!  The weight distribution is a major factor the times I see helms hiking for all they are worth whilst the crew sits there on the seat doing b***er all!  The main rule is KEEP IT FLAT!!!!!!  and COMMUNICATE and I don't mean shout or sulk and LEARN BY YOUR MISTAKES and LISTEN TO YOUR HELM If he or she has more experience than you.  And lastly remember YOU ARE A TEAM the only way you will win or even come close is to work as a team and if you don't you'll only build resentment and that is non-productive.  My helm and I win on a regular basis but it's taken a while as his ex-wife who used to crew was good and I was not.  Now I am good we make it happen.
Hope this helps

Janey

Andy Hill

I completely agree with Janey, the key is good teamwork and respect for each other.

Steve & I outside the actual race debate everything from how to initialy fit out the boat, how to use practice time, the rig set up, what the weather is going to do, where to start and after the race what went right and what went wrong.

Just before the start we drop into race mode when the communication is one way and much more about the simple fact of what is going on / needed. Whilst the best balance for the various tasks will be dependant upon the two individuals. We find that Steve will concentrate on sailing the boat where he wants to go; whilst I will be balancing the boat, constantly monitoring and informing him of the wind direction and situation of other boats and lay lines. Once we are both on the side I will often be the one tweak the control lines having checked with Steve.

The most important thing after respect for each other is practice time outside of racing.This is the time in which you can learn the most about the boat and from each other. To put it in context we probably used to spend more time on the water practicing than we did racing when we won the Burton in 1993  and on our return in 2007.

Above all else it has to be fun for both of you.

janeysailor12

[quote by=Andy_Hill link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1194422637,s=24 date=1196258893]
Above all else it has to be fun for both of you.[/quote]

Yes...and Fun as well!!!!!! and it IS  ;D

Janey

n12 Bottom Banner