National 12 - find out more...

helms: what makes a good crew

Started by Sophie (Guest), 07 Nov 2007, 08:03

« previous - next »

Sophie (Guest)

My last post might have you a little worried, but there is a chance for you to have your say too as I'm also putting together an article on crewing and would really like some feedback from helms on the best things about your crew from a technique point of view.

whether its pulling the kicker on at the leward mark, calling the gusts or making sure there's enough food and water on board please send all thoughts to sophiemackley(at)hotmail.com - the best ones will be published

many thanks

Sophie

Roly Mo

Someone who is happy to help unpack the boat and pack it up again, gets the course (right), buys their round at the bar, doesn't moan, doesn't mind getting wet,  understands where the wind is coming from and doesn't wait to be told to shout Starboard.  Most important of all, someone who has a sense of humour!  

Also understands the benefits of PIES (or, in respect of younger crews) fruit pastilles . . . .  

RM

Mike Storey

What!? - Crews do all that stuff? Must tell Alex...but he'd probably forget.
Actually that's harsh on a 9yo. For me the best things are - enjoys himself and doesn't moan when the helm steers the boat down the fleet.

Mike
N3491
N3274

THG

I agree with MikeS comments - it can be quite difficult to keep youngsters motivated.  It seems we have quite a few boats out know with younger crews (sub teenager at least) - any ideas on how we could keep them more interested in 12 sailing?  Is there any demand for specific young persons crew training??  My #1 crew is now getting too big and with exams etc is less committed.

In not too many years from now there should be an influx of other family crews from the current top end of the fleet!!

THG

Tim L

[quote by=Roly_Mo link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool1,m=1194422637,s=1 date=1194445317]
doesn't wait to be told to shout Starboard. [/quote]

I'd say the opposite here - I want the crew to be telling me about other boats but I want to be able to make the decision about whether to call them or dip myself.  The last thing you need is a boat camped on your lee bow when you're going the right way!

Bit general but I think reliability and enthusiasm are the most important aspects - though obviously being able to straight leg hike for the whole burton cup and drag the boat singlehanded up Porthpean slip while weighing less than 8 stone are pretty essential too....

:P

Jane Wade

I need the little crews to lose concentration quickly!  It is the only advantage my larger, less flexible body has over them!  Well some days anyway - sometimes I have no advantage at all.

Jane

sophie (Guest)

Jane, you have nothing to worry about - your helm was one of very few that has replied!

Thanks to those that have emailed me, but its looking like being  a very short article. More input appreciated - and feel free to email sugestions for future articles.

Cheers

Sophie

icecreamman

I think that what you want from a crew changes as the crew gets older and therefore more experinced. As RM said standing your round at the bar and unloading boats from the top of double stackers is great if you are an adult, but if you crewing with your small son/daughter then the whole thing changes and becomes more akin to what Mike has posted.
The thing that should be said for either age or ability group is that they enjoy what they are doing.

Antony

Sophie,
I hope that you are going to tie the two articles together somehow.  I have always thought that it is very unfair (although entirely logical and unavoidable) that the best crews and helms insist on sailing together.  It is hard for a learner crew to teach a learning helm, and vice versa.  This is something we are constantly trying to tackle when we look at how to run training in the future.

For me all I ask is that my crew is always enthusiastic and dependable, a tactical genius and can move about the boat so well that my own stumbles are not an issue.  Unfortunately I think that they also have to put up with my occassionally shorter than desirable temper, and realise that i am not complaining about them but just to them.

I am very aware that i have been very lucky with my main crews, my sister, Rich Bailey and Jo are right up there on all counts.  I could write you a short, and hopefully amusing series of annecdotes about the people that i have had the pleasure of saiilng the 12 with, but it might not be a good idea.

Antony

Derek

Given that Pitsford was nice and calm, and my daughter Tori was doing her first full open, most of you probably heard first-and some of my "suggestions" on what crews should do.
That aside, I think there is a concensus developing here.
The teamwork and attitude elements seem to be regarded as more important than the pure mechanics of getting the boat round the course.

Perhaps the driver does make the final calls on where the boat goes,but it is always more fun if you BOTH feel like it is a team effort.
This includes the little touches like covering for each others mistakes and not pointing them out.
Turning up in good time to help with the boat and not clearing off as soon as it is in it's space.
Retaining a reasonable level of concentration even when the race seems less than thrilling and the result looks like being dire.

Some of the most basic things are done differently by some helms and some crews. This doesn't mean there is a right or a wrong way, but it is a very good idea if you know what each other is expecting.

Tolerance and good humour go a long way in surviving and enjoying your sailing - this applies equally to helms and crews.

Is there another article coming on Crew's Heroic Saves - I can remember a few of those.

For those of you who remember Howard Stevenson; he will now only sail his 14 with one crew because he reckons he has got so slow and stuck in his ways that he needs his "Get out of Jail" card on a regular basis and there is only one person he trusts to do that!

THG

I would also like a crew that doesn't grow too quickly - now #1 is trained up he's just getting too big to be upfront!!  Not sure if he's keen to try the back end.
THG

Jimbo42

Jane Wade

Jimbo you need to be careful - posts like that one could leave you crewless!!  We crews at all levels stick together.

Besides helms don't train crews it is the other way around!

Jane

greight expectations

Jabadabadoooo! Coming to BW to make a splosh!!!!???????????????

Hardly but are you contemplating ending your career sailing a laser?  Jane has a point perhaps.

My crew (tochter) has competing interests with crewing for me but remains my best crew as whilst she has not sailed lots in a 12 is intuitive in her behaviour and responds to tricky situations with little or no direction on my part.  (Mind you we've had our "moments" also!)

To add to the debate I had the good fortune to have a guest (save her blushes) crew for me (first time but I hope not the last) at Ripon.  She too was fairly intuitive  - she knew what and how to do things, followed instructions when asked, never criticised, gave positive suggestions and observations as she knew the water, maintaind her focus and concentration - with little input from me leaving me to keep my head out of the boat with the confidence that our race was good.  We did fairly well, improving each race and I never felt that our performance was damaged by crew activities,  leaving me to take full honours in my own down fall and self induced errors.  

Not a precise answer but you know a good crew when you have one.

n12 Bottom Banner