National 12 - find out more...

3132 for sale on Ebay

Started by SimonB, 20 Mar 2008, 09:50

« previous - next »

SimonB

It is with sadness that I am selling my 12. Unfortunately, my crew (5 year old son) isn't very keen on sailing. He is always complained that it is too hard to climb over the centreboard case....perhaps we need a DB boat.

Therefore, Impulse, 3132, is for sale on Ebay. The auction ends on Sunday 27th Jan.

Hopefully we will return to the class in a few years time (when my sons legs are longer or the price of DB boats drops).

Simon
 :'(

Roly Mo

Our 6 year old daughter says much the same about sailing in our Mirror (and also complains about the position of the kicker) but loves sailing in the Vintage 12 - she has developed a very nice sliding movement across the thwart.  Vintage boats do have their advantages!   She is an ideal size for crewing Roly (DB) but the chances of a capsize are too great unless it's v v calm so she's not been afloat in it yet - perhaps this summer!

Roly Mo

DavidW

Small crews do need to develop the sliding tack - my girls managed it at a very young age sailing at Henley where there are more tacks per race than many other venues - think twice Simon!
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

Mike Storey

Alex started in the front of the Crusader at age 6 and MUCH prefers the Big Issue DB  even though he's now a lot bigger (age 10). Less distance to climb from floor to deck and less centreboard to negotiate.
Six is the perfect age to gently introduce kids to sailing in a 12, but it has to be on their terms - if they don't want to go out, you don't go out & if they want to come in, you go in. I still apply those rules and in a few years time Alex will be a good crew for someone a lighter than me. Venue is also important - we started on a river - and I do think that helped because its smaller scale, feels safer, easy to launch, there's more going on around. It was less intimidating than a big expanse of water and when its windy its too gusty to contemplate going out anyway.

Mike
N3274
N3491

n12 Bottom Banner