National 12 - find out more...

N3244 Why Can't You ...?

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 21 Mar 2007, 05:01

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N3244 Why Can't You ...?   Design: Crusader, designed by: Phil Morrison in 1981 

YW Silver National Points Trophy & Burton Cup winning boat, Tynemouth 1985, Ian Pinnell crewed by Jeremy Hartley.

Stephen Merchant

I currently own this boat and sail it at Whitefriars sailing Club. It is by far the nicest boat I have ever sailed and raced in, and is in immaculate condition for its age. Hope to get it to some ope meetings so I can show her off. I have attached a nice picture of her hull . . . . .

DavidW

Hmmmm -  you might do well to try sailing a little bit flatter!!!!!!!!
Hope to see you at an open soon -  South Cerney in a couple of weeks?
David Wilkins
3481 Cooked to Perfection

scotyot (Guest)

Prior to Mr Merchant's ownership, this beautiful and well-built boat was owned for many years by Iain Simpson who was a stalwart and very successful sailor out of Tynemouth SC (Hia son, Mark, is currently currently a top Northern N12 helm and sails at Scaling Dam). I'm just a jealous spectator in this matter as, when Mr Simpson snr put the boat up for sale, I was unable to raise/justify the then asking price. Sometimes I wish I had made the sacrifice!! 
A photo of this boat appears in the NTOA Handbook, taken when the boat was on display at the Dinghy Exhibition the year it was built. 

scotyot (Guest)

Prior to Mr Merchant's ownership, this beautiful and well-built boat was owned for many years by Iain Simpson who was a stalwart and very successful sailor out of Tynemouth SC (His son, Mark, is currently currently a top Northern N12 helm and sails at Scaling Dam). I'm just a jealous spectator in this matter as, when Mr Simpson snr put the boat up for sale I was interested in buying her but I was unable to raise/justify the then asking price. Sometimes I wish I had made the sacrifice!! 
A photo of this boat appears in the NTOA Handbook, taken when the boat was on display at the Dinghy Exhibition the year it was built. 

scotyot (Guest)

Your Crusader was 'commissioned' by Storrar and Bax sailmakers then of North Shields and built by Arnott Dobson a noted NE boat-builder responsible for a host of top quality Enterprises, Merlin Rockets and Flying Fifteens - Aln dinghies they were called as they were built in a workshop in Alnmouth. The boat was campaigned with obvious success by Storrar's promising young NE sailmaker Iain Pinnell (now of P & B fame). He and Alan Bax both campaigned 12's at the time. Rob Storrar now trading as Storrar Marine, Alan Bax and/or Iain Pinnell at P&B could fill in the detail. I do know, having visited them a few times, that Arnott Dobson in his later years whilst semi-retired, did a lot of his quality decking and craftwork on Enterprises and Flying Fifteens at the late Dave Ovington's workshop at Mariners Lane, Tynemouth where I think your boat was built. I believe that Mark Simpson's dad, Ian, bought the boat from Storrars once they went on to produce the Crusader 'successor', the Design 8. Hope this fills the gap?

Crusader 3244

Thanks Scotyot for sketching some missing history. 3244 came my way on 31st August 2008 and has proven to be an excellent introduction to N12s. Knowing very little about them 12s were not on my shortlist but I chanced upon one that fed my interest and an exploration of the association webpages, forum and database was definately the persuading factor. Ownership has surpassed all my expectations. 3244 is based at Redesmere SC.
In 2008 3244 attended Olton Mere, Trent Valley, Ripon and Yeadon.
Chris, 3244

Gareth Brown

N3244 has been in my ownership since buying it from Crusader3244 in August 2019. As a newcomer to sailing, I have been sailing at Carsington Water and steadily improving in the club mixed fleet races.
Unfortunately, Lockdown meant that the boat spent the winter at the club, and the decks had suffered from some lifting varnish. This has been remedied with a strip down to the bare wood and a revarnish, which has left her looking beautiful.
The recent acquisition of a newer N12, means that she will soon be seeking a new owner, who I hope will enjoy her as much as I have!

Paul Moxey

We have just become the proud new owners of Why Can't You...? Does anyone know why she has this name? We will keep her at Keyhaven on the Western Solent but I hope also to get to some of the National 12 meetings.  Any other National 12s welcome to visit. moxeypp@gmail.com

Dominic Horner

Bought 3244 last month to sail with my daughter(s).  She's now moved inland, and in fact back, to Whitefriars.  Only been out a couple of times but loving her so far ;D

edwillett

Hope to see you there (at Whitefriars) soon....I am out in the N12 on Weds evenings....

n12 Bottom Banner