National 12 - find out more...

F'ing Boat

Started by Martin, 15 Nov 2006, 05:10

« previous - next »

Martin

The Ratchet article on the man and his boat was most interesting.  If I read the article correctly the boat has 150% of freeboard of other current designs yet is only 5kg overweight.

Within the current rules would it be possible to build a DB 12 with a tall cockpit and a normal height bow with a swept down foredeck sort of like the RS300?

If so I guess  it would make for a relatively comfortable boat to sail and move around in

rick perkins

If you place the floor just above the water line then high F'ing Boat style freeboard you'd get a boat just as comfortable as an AC I'd guess ... with the benefits of being self draining ... and of course all the other benefits of high freeboard that I am sure Gavin could share with us ...

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Mikey C

Simple answer is no Martin. The rules on sheerline stop you doing anything like this.

:-/
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

Martin

JerryG (Guest)

This idea of a higher freeboard db boat was the theme of my comments in an earlier thread about a design for geriatrics!  More depth of hull allows for thwart at reasonable height above floor, less strain on aged knees!  I would accept the higher foredeck, even a self drainer can benefit from shipping less water in wind against tide chop.

Tim L (Guest)

Higher freeboard has its downside for geriatrics though - sure Gavin would admit it's pretty hard to right from a capsize, might be something of a safety issue?

rick perkins

[quote by=Tim L (Guest) link=Blah.cgi?b=Cool,m=1163610610,s=5 date=1163693427]Higher freeboard has its downside for geriatrics though - sure Gavin would admit it's pretty hard to right from a capsize, might be something of a safety issue?[/quote]

Perhaps you were ment to get back in through that big hole in the bow ...

Now that has been sealed up a ladder is probably in order ...

Rick
regards,

Rick

N12 3490

Wedding Invitations
Contemporary W

Tim L (Guest)

;D

Disappointed that the 'scaling the north face of the F*in Boat' moutaineering video of Gavin capsized at Notts County the other year didn't make it into the outakes on the DVD....

n12 Bottom Banner