National 12 - find out more...

Moving to a modern boat

Started by Alistair Edwards, 28 Nov 2018, 08:07

« previous - next »

Alistair Edwards

My involvement with the class started with a Tigress (N3143 Catatonic). Having decided that I don't like spending my time looking after wooden boats I then picked up a Paper Dart (N2903 Maxim). Even with baggy old sails the Paper Dart has proved to be very competitive on the river.

However, deep down I have always wanted a more modern boat. So I am acquiring N3517 (Carbon Paw Print). Looking forward to having a much lighter boat to haul up the slipway.
I will need to be careful using a foiling rudder on the Thames, but after many years sailing on our reach I hopefully know where most of the shallow spots are!
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

3513SL

That is great news, congratulations! Will you travel further with your newly acquired competitive boat?

One of the great things about the N12 is the ability to start with a cheap, older boat and then progress through the designs! After a bit of sailing in a Design 8, I bought my foolish and now, who knows what 2019 will bring............
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

Alistair Edwards

I already love sailing the older design, so I am very excited at the prospect of a much racier boat. I moved to 12s from an Enterprise having seen how the 12s could keep moving in very light breeze. I am sure Carbon Paw Print will be brilliant in light conditions on the river.

I would like to travel to a few events, but I have a slight problem as my hybrid car is not approved for towing so my insurance would be invalid. Maybe I can find a lightweight crew who has a car with a towbar!

N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

n12 Bottom Banner