National 12 - find out more...

Spinnaker??

Started by 1304, 19 Sep 2015, 06:24

« previous - next »

Did the class ever consider the adoption of spinnakers?
I ask because my boat N3214 appears to have flown one at some point....
There's a halyard block on the front of my mast, about a foot up from the jib halyard, and a matching block and cam cleat on the foredeck, to the left of the mast...
There's a spinnaker pole loop on the front of the mast, about 18" above the gooseneck...
There was a spare cam cleat on each gunwhale (now removed) .. they were aligned to take a rope from a block attached to the shroud ...
There's no evidence for guy/sheet blocks towards the back of the boat though...

That aside, I've had the perfect day working on her, patching up after previous owners' bodges, and adding a few of my own! Should be ready for the water in a couple of weeks...

Matt

STU W

Could be for the jib stick. or perhaps a cut down mast from another class. We have never fiddled with Spinnakers as a class although a few individuals have played... John Royce in Tiger Lil. N 3011 springs to mind
12's are for life not just for christmas.

She's got a fully working dangly pole, not using any of the fittings I listed... When did the dangly pole arrive? She's '84 vintage so predates it??
I did think the mast may have come from something else.. but there's no evidence of re-purposing...
She's the only boat of her design, so perhaps a previous owner went off on their own tack...
If I remove an unnecessary fitting from the mast, do I leave the hole open, or put a pop rivet in it??

Matt

3513SL

Some footage here of a 12 with an asymmetric. Would love to know the history behind this too!

https://youtu.be/fqOo8cQ2q2Y
N12 - 3198, 3513, 3551

STU W

Well known boat, never had a spiny attached as far as I know. I'd rivet holes
12's are for life not just for christmas.

Quote from: 29Well known boat

Really? Well known in a good way? I've never found any reference to her, except in the database....
Guess that means I'll have to look after her well...
Matt

edwillett

You will find the story of Gryphon in the history of the Class in the Association Handbook. The you tube video in link above was posted by me. Mike Shallow and crew "trialling" a spinnaker in their Final Chapter at the Exmouth Burton Week in 1992. The story goes that Phil Morrison who was watching with the rest of us on the beach went away and created the RS200.....

n12 Bottom Banner