National 12 - find out more...

Buoyancy and reefing

Started by Rascl, 31 May 2015, 11:17

« previous - next »

Rascl

Hello 
Few questions 
Has anyone any buoyancy bag recommendation for n3247 rascal - crusader type. Capsized at weekend at water 3 inches above centreboard - more in boat than the lake . Despite efforts could not get it on a reach and it ended up being dragged by safety boat to beach for draining - if I get a couple of 12x36 bags - would these with straps be ok to fix with screws into wood at back ? Do I risk puncturing the internal buoyancy it has ?

also - can u reef a 12 - guess possible to roll main around boom - make a strap in fold for kicker 

lastly - lost job ropes and shackles in capsize - anyone know a good online shop for national 12 ropes and bits

its a fun sail but rascal is pretty in forgiving to learn in (-;

Chilli

for reefing i was taught at dinghy school (i've been rya level 5 dnighy for 20+years) we were taught to roll the main around the boom and then roll a sail bag in with it and use the drawcord of the sailbag shackled to the kicker -- not sure of the kicker set up you've got on your 12 but this is the way that it's practised by sailing schools

use www.pinbax.com for all your N12 needs - the N12 chairman is a director there so you'll get what you need without any hassle or needing to work things out :)

as for your first point - sorry but i haven't got a scooby on that one.

hope this helps :)

alann

Hi
Rolling sail around the boom only works if you have a square goosneck
Alan

NTOACertification

Hello
With regard to reefing the mainsail, using a reefed sail in windy weather is not recommended for any halfway decent sail as it tends to get distorted and it is important to have a proper kicker arrangement.  The best remedy by far is to have an older sail which you can then have cut down to the equivalent of a reefed sail and attach it to the mast/boom etc and still be able to use a proper kicking strap.  If you don't have a suitable sail you can always place an advert on this site for an older sail that you can have reduced.

The usual amount to reduce the sail by is around 700 - 800 mm taken off the bottom of the sail and fitting new tack and clew re-inforcing and eyelets etc and have the foot reshaped.  I am sure any sailmaker would be able to carry out this work. The sail will not be technically legal for racing but when people have used reduced sails no one has objected, and I do remember at least one open meeting being won with a boat using a reduced mainsail, (it was very very windy).

Re the buoyancy, if you are fitting bags try not to drill through any buoyancy tank and try to use sailcloth covers fixed down as well as webbing straps through the bag loops, this keeps the bags tight down as low as possible to give more lift in a capsize.  See pic of covers fitted to a Twelve (though this boat has no rear tank).

Kevan Bloor 
Hon Certification Officer (retired sailmaker!! Alverbank Sails)

STU W

Why would this not be legal? I thought there were maximum measurements for sails but not minimum. Surely if it had been measured by a class measured it would be legal? Tim Grey was well known for his mini sail at one time around the Midlands. Only asking as thinking of doing just this with an old sail for me and the lad.
12's are for life not just for christmas.

tom lee

StuW, the battens would be at the wrong place (they are supposed to be within 55mm of a leach measurement point)
Tom<br />N3545

tom lee

Rascl,
buoyancy low down is allways good. but it is possible to empty a crusader filled up to the gunwales it does take a bit of practice to perfect the technique!! see this thread: http://www.national12.org/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.cgi?m-1368533396/s-7/highlight-capsize/#num7
Tom<br />N3545

STU W

Thanks Tom, hadn't thought of disposition of battens just about overall sail area. Guess I will have to ask club for dispensation, can't see a problem as won't exactly be speedy Gonzales will I. 😎
12's are for life not just for christmas.

smilie

While on the subject of reefing has anyone else noticed Carbon Copy's DS main sail looks like it can be zipped down skiff style.

Rascl, yup 12's can be pretty unforgiving to learn in especially on jybes but if you stick at it you will reap the rewards later ;)
The futures bright the future is rivers and lakes

n12 Bottom Banner