National 12 - find out more...

Sailing N12 Singlehanded

Started by RichardB2, 12 Mar 2015, 08:46

« previous - next »

RichardB2

Evening. I have posted before regarding this subject but not reached any conclusion so any comments on the subject welcome. Is it possible to sail a 12 using the main only and the jib halyward acting as a forestay. Only my 12 isn't really set up for singlehanded sailing and keen to get out as much this year with or without crew but dont want to be restricted only to days of F1 & F2 if going solo.
Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Richard 3126

john m (Guest)

Hi Richard
To do this without any risk of damage to the boat I would get a wire strop made up which is the same length as the wire in your jib luff and then rig this as if it were your jib.  Alternatively a modern low stretch piece of rope such as dyneema.
I would also note that if it is light you can probably sail with the jib still.  Get some cleats on the centreboard capping.  I think this will make the boat feel nicer if you have the jib.
Clearly not race legal with only one up, but it does not matter if you are having fun.
Go for it!

John

edwillett

Hi Richard

All the 12 really needs to sail singlehanded with main and jib, is a set of jibcleats....job done!

Jerry G (Guest)

Another tip (from the winner of the single-handed trophy at Reading University Sailing Club in 1963!) tie the jib sheets together.  Then you don't have to go down to leeward to reach the sheet after a tack.

RichardB2

Thanks everyone for your very helpful responses.
Will give feedback on how I get on!! :-)

John Murrell (Guest)

Richard,
I thought about this when I had Dinsdale (N2632) rebuilt, I lead the jib sheets to a block on the floor and then lead them up through the deck beside the shrouds and then have a slightly off line cam cleat that can be used for either single handed sailing or with a little person crewing. The jibsheets are continious too.
The penultimate picture on the database of Dinsdale shows how it looks in reality.

angus

I to sail National 12s single handed from time to time. My club is not fussy about things like that and would rather see you out on the water. 
I am not quite the same physical specimen as Ed and so struggle in anything other than light winds. I have never been tempted to try with out the jib, partly because the mast would fall down (I know it is easy enought to get round this) but mainly becasue I don't think the reduction in sail area would be enough to counter the loss in efficieny in the rig.
I have often thought about cutting the bottom off an old main but have never got around to it.
Tying jib sheets to gether definately helps.
I have used jam cleats in two different places on the centrboard case where a foot is required to get it in the jammer when sitting out and on the oppersite gunnel. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.
At my club reaches are usually quite short and I tend not to use the jammers on reaches. This is probably where jammers on the gunnel are at their most useless.
The biggest problem I have is trying to get the pole on while goose winged, I usually end up trying to bury the pole in the foredeck. I can usually only manage it if I let go of both tiller and Mainsheet walking forward and pulling jib out with one hand and pole on with the other. Can get a bit hairy.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

RichardB2

Thanks everyone for the extremely helpful advice.
One other question. I will most probably be doing some club handicap racing, S/H, from time to time. Is there a specified handicap rating that has been adopted across clubs that I can suggest to the RO for SH sailing without raising eyebrows when I appear at the start line on my jacks!?

Many thanks again. 

Richard
N12 3126

n12 Bottom Banner