National 12 - find out more...

Securing against the wind

Started by glove81, 24 Oct 2013, 01:35

« previous - next »

glove81

Hi Guys. I'm looking for some homebrewed solutions? My 12 is sitting in the boatyard for the winter, the problem is that no more ground anchor points remain. I have been thinking of filling a bucket with old weights and concrete with an eye bolt out of the top with which to secure a ratchet strap. 

What do you/have you done if in a similar position? I'm in a windy spot in the highlands and need a secure solution.

Martin

I recently saw a Miracle dinghy kept in a fairly exposed position  at the seaside tied down to concrete filled buckets. In the recent high winds they did not work, the boat had blown over and it looked like one of the buckets had damaged the underside of the boat.
I have successfully used dog restraints set in scrap car tyres filled with concrete for many years which have a much greater surface area than buckets.
To be fair though our dinghy park is fairly sheltered and the restraints are shared on either side of my boat with a GP 14 and a Supernova which provide cover and extra weight. 

Tim Gatti

If you don't plan to use her, then why not take the rig off and turn the hull upside down and support on old tyres, then strap cover over the upturned hull.
If you can bury a tyre each side with rope/strap attached to tie over her that should keep her from blowing over/away.
It's the windage of the rig that's generally responsible for flipping most dinghies.

landslide

edwillett

I'm with Tim here....as I recall you are up on the Moray Firth, and not only do you need to protect her from blowing away but also if you turn her upside down you'll protect the varnished decks from the ravages of frost and snow. My N12 (1833) sat in the garden for nearly 15 years upside down and it was by far the best method to maintain an inactive boat (outside)...assuming of course that the decks are clear of the ground.
Cheers
Ed (Edinburgh)

angus

While not wanting to go against the fonts of Knowledge that have already spoken I would issue a word of warning about storing boats upside down. If water does get in which it can do through the centre board slot it will sit on the underside ot the deck and area that is frequently not well protected.
Which ever way up you store your boat make sure that water can drain away freely, that is far more important than trying to keep it dry becaiuse you won't unless you get it inside. Make sure that air can circulate freely and do your best to keep it from frost, trees are good for this. As Tim says it is unlikely to blow over which ever way up it is if the rig is off.
On balance I would probably store the boat upside down with the bow higher than the stern so that any water that did get it would run to the stern, have the centre board slot sealed up with duck tape. Have the boat about 20 -30 cm off the ground, higher in long grass and regularly check for water sitting at the stern.
oh and you can ask Ed how much it cost him to get 1833 back in the water after 15 years up side down in his garden. Just look at 1833 on the database. Maybe it is worth chapping on a few farmers doors to see if any ahve a wee corner they can spare you for a few quid. A bit of time and money now may spare you a lot in the long run.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

edwillett

Agree with Angus' comments, but worth noting that the rot in my boat was there before the lengthy garden storage...which was why it ended up unused for so long.

Jerry G

Worth noting that, even if upside down with all gear removed, it still needs tying down if outdoors.  The wide post-vintage boats are quite light and, if the wind gets under it, can take off!

darebarry

Also have a good look at your insurance policy, most do not give you cover if you fail to tie it down!!!!

angus

Yes I should have said and tied down. Even a couple of fence posts would do the trick if you have nothing else. I don't like the idea of concrete weights could end up doing more harm than good.
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Mr Big

Six sharp sand bags, should do the trick. Three each side. If you use sharp sand you can put it on the lawn in the spring.

n12 Bottom Banner