National 12 - find out more...

Gill Series 2010 - Event 5 - Solway Yacht Club

Started by Charlotte Stewart, 12 Aug 2010, 10:25

« previous - next »

angus

We unfortunately didn't manage to break our jinx after i managed to kick a hole in the boat in the first race on Saturday, then didn't fancy going out in a near gale in a boat held together with duck tape. So bailed out early to get Rohan home in time for the second half of his football match, unfortunately he could save his team going down 3-1.
Hope you all had a good day on Sunday.:o
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

John Hugo

Steve Sallis won three out of three races and the Scottish Championship.    Race 4 was canceled, which was wise under the conditions on Sunday.    The forecast was F5 to F6 gusting up to F8, and in reality probably not much less.    In the last race Steve fouled the inner distance mark,seconds before the start.   Was it the rudder wing that caught the anchor warp?   The necessary 360 had to take place in a particularly wild gust, not the best moment for a gybe, which gave the fleet a minute's start on the favourite.    Steve steadilly reeled in the fleet, and got his nose in front , right on the finish line. to pip Neal Piper for first place.    A notable effort by Neal who was having his first sail in a (borrowed), twelve since he sold Cosmic Cowboy in 1993.
This is not an authorised report, merely observations from the committee boat where i was hiding, not having the courage to sail my "Foolish".
John Hugo

Roly Mo

It was a great weekend - thanks to everyone involved and especially to Ian and Margaret for a wonderful party on Saturday night.
RM

Chadders

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!  A great weekend many thanks to Solway YC and all involved in organising the event and especially to Ian and Margaret Purkis for the excellent  hospitality and for hosting a BBQ for the entire fleet as well as all the club helpers and members. 
Thanks too for finding local crews for almost half the fleet and especially for the pairing me up with Fiona who seemed to know the estuary backwards and kept us off the mud despite the dissapearing water on Saturday.  She didnt even mind when we retired on Sunday after a wild ride out and a hairy plane or two, suffice to say she is booked for next year!   Well done to the six who did get round, it may not have looked too bad from the committee boat that John was on but it looked a tad hairy from the back of my D8 hence retiring to keep my bus pass dry.

John Hugo

Yes Howard, it looked decidedly hairy from the committee boat, and yes Kenny, I am told lots of photos were taken, and I gather some were being sent to Ian and also posted on the Solway web site.   Pity you couldn't make it.   It was well worth watching if you could get close enough to the action, and the social side was the best yet at Solway.
John

n12 Bottom Banner