National 12 - find out more...

Island Barn Pursuit Race Challenge

Started by Tim Gatti, 03 Sep 2009, 06:28

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

ISLAND BARN 50TH ANNIVERSARY OPEN PURSUIT RACE CHALLENGE on SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 20TH
I have been contacted by the Island Barn Reservoir Sailing Club in Surrey and asked to encourage as many 12 sailors as possible to attend their Anniversary event - either as individual entries or in teams of 3 or 4.  They have also been in touch with a number of other Classes and are looking to attract up to 80 boats to compete in the two Pursuit races being run on the day.  Results for individuals and teams will be aggregated over the two races.
So for those not able to attend our Open meetings at Henley or Loch Tummel that day this looks like a challenging alternative with some useful publicity for the Class thrown in.  I attach pdf's with entry forms and a link to the Club's website for further information. 
http://www.islandbarn.org.uk/
Please indicate on the discussion database if you are able to go. Hope so! Good luck. Tim 

JimC (Guest)

May I add that judging by the performance of our two resident Nationals (hand up folks?)  the venue is very well suited to 12s indeed, and of course if anyone wished to evaluate a possible winter series venue away from the sea this would be an excellent opportunity...

Mike S (Guest)

I put my hand up! I think the other club 12 sailor might be out on the wide open seas by now. I'll be sailing a 12 on the IBRSC team and can second
Jim's comments about the suitability of the venue for 12s and for
winter sailing, Burgfield series notwithstanding. Would be good to see a team of 12s there. I just hope they use
the published PN, not the club number of 1078. Lots of Lasers to fight past if its the latter. I can lend a boat  (N3274) if necessary and I'm sure if we're struggling for numbers I could be persuaded to switch sides and put class before club!
Mike S
N3491

Tim Gatti

Any willing volunteers to help pursuade Mike to switch his allegiance to the Class?

Mike S (Guest)

There would have been 16 at Henley but for the date clash with this event.
In a similarly light wind affair 50 boats, including many visitors from local clubs, enjoyed 2 expertly organised pursuit races around Island Barn reservoir. The 12 (sailing with the lasers off 1078) won the first by a country mile. The second was a real drifter - the leaders only managing 1 1/2 laps in 90 mins. In a nailbiting last few minutes the 12 missed out on overhauling the Solo by half a boat length, losing out  overall as a result. IBRSC "A"(Solo, 12, RS300, RS400) won the team event from Hampton (Merlins) and Tamesis (Solos/Laser). 
Mike S
N3491

MikeDay

Mike

Well done! Is this an annual event?  If so, we could put it in the 2010 12 calendar, make it a qualifying Thames Area event (ie counting the Twelve results within the overall pursuit results) and ensure it doesn't clash with other meetings.  What do you think?  Let me know - especially if there's a date lined up for next year.

Mike D
N3496

Tim Gatti

Well done Mike for flying the 12 flag at Island Barn - and hard luck on not quite sqeezing past the Solo.
If it is run annually it might be worth seeing if a clash with Henley can be avoided in future to maximise attendance at both events. Tim

n12 Bottom Banner