National 12 - find out more...

Lovely Uffa King on Apollo Duck

Started by Tim Gatti, 29 Jul 2009, 08:31

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

Richard White has brought the following 12 to my attention : Unfortunately, quite a high asking price but seems like a ready to sail ribby in near original condition if anyone's interested ? I have requested more details from the seller.
http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=119400

Lukepiewalker

Rowlocks... and a seagull motor. Sacrilege!
Looks lovely though.

Martin

So what would a sensible asking price be?

JonathanReubin

This looks like a Woottens one to me and as I have got one of these the price looks right!  Seriously, its hard to say what they are worth.  I paid only a few pounds for mine and spent back breaking months stripping, cleaning her down and varnishing and I still need new sails and the timber mast re-rigging.  I guess that someone with a riverside frontage to the Thames wishing to grace his collection of slipper launches with a sailing boat might pay that sort of money.  As for the Seagull, well I wouldn't even though I have one lurking in my garage.

chalky

can anyone explain the lacing detail of the mainsail to the mast? What happens further up the mast?

Chadders

Hi Chaps I made a few enquiries about this boat and the owner writes:-
The boat, as I said is a 12 foot Uffa King design. We bought it from a Mr Beer in Herstmonceux and were informed that it was built from original plans by his father. (We still have those). Mr Beer subsequently refurbished the boat about ten years ago. He kept it at Bewl Water in East Sussex until he found it too awkward to manoeuvre single-handed in and out of the water and replaced it with a lighter craft. Reluctantly he offered the Uffa design for sale. On first viewing we fell in love with it and have owned it for six years. We've used it mostly on the Rother, either sailing out of Rye Harbour or taking it up the non-tidal part towards Bodiam. We had the boat completely stripped and re varnished three years ago.Two years ago we took it to Devon and used it on the Dart. As we have used it less frequently of late, we have decided, sadly, to sell it on. It is a beautiful boat in lovely condition. It has been well maintained and is always covered when not in use. The construction is mahogany planking on an oak frame with a steel centre plate. Although originally sloop rigged, with Indian cotton sails it is now gunter rigged with jib and mainsail by Alpha Sails. It sails and handles beautifully and we hope that it will go to a good home. We're not aware of a registered number although if we can still contact Mr Beer we may be able to find out. I am quite happy to send further photographs, perhaps you would be kind enough to let me know what aspects of the boat you would like to see.  END
I have emailed details of the class and info on a few vintage 12s including N1 which is nearing the end of her restoration in Wroxham.  Anyone wanting more information can email via the advert at Apollo Duck by following the link posted by Tim at the top of this post.  Howard C

ken goddard

I am suspicious about this boat and am not sure that it is a National 12. All Twelves have the sail number carved on the inside of the transom or on the thwart. The vendor shouldn't have to refer to the original owner for details of registration - it should be on the boat staring at him. I am also suspicious about the lack of decking and the sail lacing. The rowlocks are not an issue. N.2300 "Duodecimal" has these and I have used oars while on holiday.
When I was Vintage Wing Representative I received a number of claims of boats which were believed to be National 12's. Most were not and were often local One Designs, such as the Helford River O.D.. I hope that the vendor may be right but let's see some more photos including the sail number, if any. 
Ken Goddard

Chadders

Further doubts have been raised as to whether this boat is to Uffa King lines by one of our more experienced members.  The owner is not claiming that she is a National 12 and says he can find no registration number which would be present had she been registered.  I can only suggest that if anyone is interested to purchase and use this boat as a National 12 they should first have her measured.  As a ribbed clinker boat she appears to be in lovelly condition however and it is for any prospective buyer to determine her worth and provenence etc.  Howard Chadwick Vintage Wing Representative.

JonathanReubin

I have just had another look at the photo and this boat is bar a few fittings details identicle to 443. I cannot think that it was not impossible to just buy plans and either build or ask a boatbuilder to build one and then rig it to suit how you wanted to use it. I am sure many in the 1930's looked at this design with the knowledge they were being built to a full racing spec for £50 and thought I'll have one as a knockabout and then not bother registering or having it measured as they had no intention of racing.
If someone measures her and it meets the criterior then I suppose she will get the next sail number available!  Should be interesting to see what the handicappers do with it.  If the banking bonuses are hoanded out again shortly then he might just get something near his price for what looks to be a one off.

n12 Bottom Banner