National 12 - find out more...

Transom Flaps

Started by jeremyf, 10 Jun 2009, 12:07

« previous - next »

jeremyf

Now my 'makeover' of Grimalkin is nearing completion I am thinking about screwing back the bits I took off long ago... ( if I can remember where all the bits went).
One of the things I promised myself was new flaps,  love the idea of using a yellow reflective number plate blank for the flap itself but what do I do for hinges??
I have also seen Mylar proposed as a material - but thats all floppy ? how does that work?
Is there a supplier of a 'package' of bits anyone could recomend please?
Jeremy

Martin

Personal Plates on a 12! Now that is pimping!! 
I think most of the chandlers do kits.  On my last boat which had flaps I recall using very thin perspex and gluing it along the hinged edge with slot gasket glue or similar.  Didn't bother with hinges.

Kevin

Thin flexible perspex attached with double sided tape is all you need. When in use, the water pressure is sufficient to make them flex enough for it to flow from the inside of the boat to where it should be.
Kevin

johnk

Another alternative is to use webbing fixed with contact adhesive as a "hinge". This means no screwholes.

simple (Guest)

[face=Times New Roman]Mylar works well as long as the holes aren’t too big.  Get some sail window material and sail repair tape (to stick it on) from a sail maker.[/face]

Phil Brown

We have transom flaps made from 2mm polycarbonate sheet (from Ebay). "Hinge" arrangement is two 4mm holes through flap and transom on vertical edge adjacent to rudder threaded with a loop of 3mm shockcord tied inside the transom tight enough to hold flap in position against hull but loose enough to allow flap to open when pressure of water on inside. Shockcord from the centre of the flap to the floor then keeps the flaps closed until needed. Works very well
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

THG

Also have very thin perspex sheet - have one big flap for Crusader - avoids problem of water coming in when launching backwards!  Its very light and hinged off mylar sail tape across the rear bar.  Guess would work the same for flaps.  I still have some left from the sheet I scrounged from a local packaging company!  Let me know the approx sizes and I think i can send you off a couple of squares in an A4 envelope.  No need for any shock cord and stuff like that - my current piece lasted a couple of seasons - cheap as chips.
THG

FuzzyDuck

I went one lighter than Kean and used a cut down Leitz plastic wallet (yellow if I remember rightly as this was the departments colour!) held on with Duck tape. Did the job perfectly.
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

Tim Gatti

Looks like anything goes! Rod Andrew - who bought my Pipedream which was then fitted with v thin plastic flaps, preferred something that kept the water out when he was kneeling at the stern fitting the rudder. He used rigid perspex and rebated the transom so they fitted flush. He also fitted some plastic sealing strip to prevent water ingress. A very neat job - see photos attached

Martin

And just when you think you leave all this behind with DB Boats you find they have them fitted to stop the water escaping to fast!!

THG

My flap is not rigid perspex but i think polycarbonate type food / packaging stuff - stiffer than the wallet type material but probably just as light.  Sail tape deffo makes a good / light / cheap hinge.
THG

broz

I get mine from Tony Blackburn at Sail Sports. Tel.01392 420043 mb.07960 957732

jeremyf

Thanks for all those replies - very impressed with the pipedream rear end - but no more woodwork for a while !

GarryR

I think it is Tony Blackmore......... at sailsport areally helpful guy and competitive prices
http://www.sail-sport.com/

Nickhawk (Guest)

There is an easy way making transom flaps from glass cloth and epoxy very rigid and transparent in case someone wants to solidify anything in there say the sail number or the boats name etc. Same way we can produce carbon flaps or even kevlar flaps. I use two pieces of square say 10" by 6" of  1/6" thickness glass or crystal. Polish one only surface of each with car wax and let it dry. Cut six pieces of similar dimensions 4 oz.glass cloth and lay it nicely on the waxed surface of one of the Crystals. Use a spatula ( old credit card is excellent) and apply 24 hour to set epoxy resin. After removing the excess resin apply a very thin coat of the same resin removed equally all over the cloth. Take the other piece of glass or crystal and put it on the wet glass cloth waxed side down. Then add some weight on top.I use old Pb batteries one will do the trick in this case and let dry in a warm place. I wait 36 hours usually and then remove gently the glass surfaces one by one. The result will be 2 mm epoxy surface ready to be cut with a jigsaw to the exact shape.Fine sand the edges and use the hinges of the previous set of flaps. As the flaps are completely transparent it is easy to use a middle layer of glass cloth where making a stencil of the name of the boat or the sail number and laying it between the forth and the fifth layer of glass.This extra layer of glass cloth could be 1 oz in order to produce a better surface for the stencil and ofcourse you can only spray it with colour.Any colour will do I use acryllic paint and it works fine.

n12 Bottom Banner