National 12 - find out more...

2008 Dinghy Show

Started by John Meadowcroft, 10 Feb 2008, 10:52

« previous - next »

Antony3514

And,
I am about to put together the basic rota to ensure that the stand is fully manned for the weekend.  Thank you to all of those that have already been in touch, and a reminder that it is not too late to volunteer some time if you now know when you will be at the show.

Thanks,
Antony

Antony (Guest)

It is not too late to tell me when you will be able to help on the stand.  If anybody fancies sticking around after the show ends on Sunday to pack up that would be great too.
It sounds like the T-Shirts will be on sale, and the new video will be playing.............
Antony

Roly Mo

Saturday
The stand looked brilliant - super (and very eye catching) video footage, plenty of people calling by to talk and ask, T-shirts going down a storm.  Well done to all involved in putting it together! 
Team RM

Alistair Edwards

The video certainly is excellent and the large screen gave it lots of impact. Some of the other classes ran their videos on laptop screens so they were far less impressive.
It was good to meet Team RM and get some good N12 advice.
The display boat gave me some inspiration. I wanted to fit a replacement foredeck cleat for my dangly pole cord. The swivel sheet lead with camcleat on the display boat is a great idea, and after lots of searching on the chandlery stands I managed to find something similar for Catatonic. I think this will be particularly useful when I am sailing single handed.
N3517 Carbon Paw Print (Big Issue 2)
N2903 Maxim (Paper Dart)
Previously N3143 Catatonic (Tigress)

John Meadowcroft

Thanks to all who helped this weekend.  You know who you are.   Antony has the full list and will hopefully publish here.  I was only on the stand Sunday pm and was surprised how busy the stand was despite it being the end of the Show.  I had some great conversations with new people.  Lets hope they can find the boats that they want.  T shirts have proved popular, there are links elsewhere on this site if you have not seen them.  An email to merchandise@national12.org will secure your order!
Meds.

paul turner

Had a great day on Saturday at the show; the stand looked good and there was lots of interest - particularly from a number of over 42s who waxed lyrical about the fun they had sailing wooden 12s in their youth and were amazed to learn that there is a vintage series/fleet!
Would it be possible to have an old N12 on the stand next year alongside the latest fast yot? I know that space and budget are limited but it doesnt have to be (fully) rigged - just the presence of a clinker hull with supporting video and flyers (I think) would seriously boost AC, 4 plank and vintage participation because there is definately an intercreasing interest in old boat yotting!

Antony (Guest)

As John says, thanks to all of those that helped.. and especially those that were able to offer time in advance and those that did the build and break-down shifts.  Other too numerous to mention were great at dropping in and helping.
The list to whom special thanks are due:
Meds & John Thornton, for doing both Friday night and Sunday evening.  A special additional thanks to John T for popping in on Saturday with another amplifier after we'd bust his first one!
Sam Childs - for the work on the new DVD (there are copies for sale) and getting over there on Saturday morning.
Jeremy - for a great new T-shirt design and for the delivery service.
Jenny & Bernard Clark - for a very early commitment to doing the first shift on Saturday.
Michael & Mary B - I guess they already know we cannot live without them.
Howard Elcock, Paul Tuner, Clare Hunter and Tom Lee - for sterling and reliable work on Sunday.
Frances, for babysitting on Saturday (so I could be at the show) and then helping on Sunday and with the pack-up.
My brother Michael John, who is not a 12 sailor at all but lent his trailer and helped with the pack-up.
And finally to Ranelagh SC, who are kind enough to store our stand etc for us so that we do not fight over whose garage it is going to fill for the next 12 months.
Antony
p.s. Paul, i agree with your sentiment and we can certainly discuss it at Committee level again.  The issue has always been that the cost/benefit analysis of being there at all leads to no clear conclusion and to add to the cost by yhaving room for 2 boats has been something we have tried to avoid.

Antony (Guest)

I spotted my own error:
Many thanks to Steve and Andy for getting the boat almost finished and up to AP for us.  It looks great, almost as nice as my own....
A

Jimbo41

Quote from: Antony (Guest)
Sam Childs - for the work on the new DVD (there are copies for sale) and getting over there on Saturday morning.
Jeremy - for a great new T-shirt design and for the delivery service.

How might one obtain a copy of the DVD? The last one was available via the website. I still watch it.....eyes glued to the screen. :)
Cheers!
Jim. 

Jeremy C

Jim,
I'll sort getting one to you when I get your T-shirts in the post. Not sure how much they are but will mail you when I find out.
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

sam293

low res versions of the videos will be on you tube in the next few days.
jim let me know how many copies of the dvd you want ( sam.childs@btinternet.com)  and il get them to jeremy before he posts off your t-shirts
sam c

Roly Mo

follow this link and see N12 sailors at the front of the queue for the show :) 

www.yachtsandyachting.com/photos/?s=64&PID=26481

RM

Tim Gatti

Appreciate all the additional costs involved for the Association in having a second boat on the stand, but would be happy to volunteer N341 (80 this year) for the stand next year if it was felt the venture was justified to promote the activities of the Vintage fleet.  Will cover transport costs too if it helps.  Tim

Jimbo41

Quote from: 154Appreciate all the additional costs involved for the Association in having a second boat on the stand, but would be happy to volunteer N341 (80 this year) for the stand next year if it was felt the venture was justified to promote the activities of the Vintage fleet. Will cover transport costs too if it helps. Tim

Tim, one question: if the Twelves have a history of 72(?) years, how come N341 is 80 years old this year? I think there were some previously existing boats "merged" into the class that had been built prior to Gypsy N1, but not that they were already 10 years old when N1 was built. Surely shome mistake? Sorry just picking nits.... ;)
Jim (too young at the time :P)

n12 Bottom Banner