National 12 - find out more...

Building a wooden n12

Started by stuarthop, 12 Aug 2005, 07:26

« previous - next »

stuarthop

Hi, does anyone know where i can get plans for a modern design N12. I wish to build the boat out of wood as i dont have the skills to built one from more modern materials. Would prefer plans for a self draining hull. Does anyone have any experiance in building a n12 in this nature? any advice would be appreciated
stu

JimC (Guest)

Mate, the modern materials are easier than wood!

stuarthop

i tried making a custom compass bracket for my scorpion from fibre glass but it all went horribly wrong! at least i no what i'm doing with wood.
stu

grazz

Stu, we've just published a building guide for wood, have a look at http://www.national12.org/private.shtml#building_guides and the select the Wood guide on the bottom right. If you need any help we can put you in touch iwht Dare Barry who I#m sure will be very willing to help

Happy building

Graham

Mikey C

Alternatively, if you want to get rid of the hard part, I can supply a glass or carbon shell, to either the Feeling Foolish or Big Issue 2 designs, to which you can fit double floor/decks etc.

email mike@teamaardvark.org if you would like any more information.

Cheers

Mike Cooke
N3489 Radical Edward (for sale!)
Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

stuarthop

I would love to own a competitive twelve but cant really afford to buy one with all the bits so building was my plan any other suggestions? How much would a carbon hull set me back?
stu

Mikey C

Carbon Toys for fast girls and boys!

//www.aardvarkracing.co.uk

JimC (Guest)

Doing a shell is a personal recommendation for a new boat - the interior is mch more straightforward than the outside is - especially if you splash out a bit more and get the cetrecase done. Get the confiencedoing the strauightforward stuff and you might feel like doing the whole thing next time.

matt (Guest)

Stu,

don't forget that second hand N12's are usually very cheap and in pretty good condition. Perhaps your time and money would be better spent on sailing a second hand wooden 12 and perhaps engaging in a little restoration.
Remember that buying a rig for your new construction will probably cost two or three times what a whole second hand n12 could be bought for.

Matt

mikec

Quote from: 120we've just published a building guide for wood

Do we have to be members of the association to download the guide?

Jimbo41

Stu, you might want to talk to Dare Barry - he's in the book. He built N3470 Passion Pudding. Goes well but would go better were it for our combined crew weight.
Alternatively, if you are interested in doing a part restore of a nice Tigress, I've got one sitting in my garage at the mo'. I'd give it to you for free, with a decent set of hardly used Alverbanks sails (mylar main) plus all the extras except trailer if you're interested. I don't have much time for any more restoring since I've spent so much time sorting out N3470 Passion Pudding. Give me a call - I'm in the book. I live in Germany, but I could arrange for delivery. Cheers!
Jim N3470 N3130 and Tasar2193

grazz

Mike - don't think you do need to be a member for that guide - it's free to any one thinking of joining the class by the building route.

Graham

newbee

Jim,
I am interested in some new sails for my Crusader (N3427) and am coming to Germany in late Jul 08.  Would you be prepared to sell them?
Garth

n12 Bottom Banner