National 12 - find out more...

Introducing a youth series?

Started by Chris Troth, 27 Oct 2008, 02:22

« previous - next »

Chris Troth

Hi. I'm Chris and I sail 2930 at Olton Mere SC. There are now 4 teenagers at the club with 12s (including myself), and we're interested in trying to set up some sort of youth scene for the class. There are many younger sailors at Olton who will be choosing which class to settle down into in the next couple of years, and for them, I think that an active youth fleet would be a real attraction - and the existing 12 sailors would enjoy a good race or two between people of similar age and experience. I'd be interested in hearing peoples views/opinions. Will also be at the inlands with some of the 12s from olton. Would be good to see how many "youths" are helming.
Chris

Moon Shallow

i think i proper organized youth series is a good idea. as i hav thought about swaying to the rs200 as it has a bigger youth scene. but i love my 12 as it is alot better for where we sail and more affordable for youths to get into sailing them.
Moon Shallow:) aka Naomi

Kevin

Now is the right time to raise this for 2009.

It's great to see this thread being initiated by the "youth of the class". For some years now the committee has been scratching its collective heads about how to stimulate interest in this area and we have very clearly failed to deliver.

Whilst the Gill series has always had a "Junior" section for all helms under 21 on 1st January of the year concerned, the participation has been alittle disappointing (to say the least) culminating in only one entry so far this year and that was a club member at Ripon, who is not a NTOA member, and sailed in a borrowed boat. If nothing else, this tells us we have not got it right ...... so far.

Nothing is sacred: age limits can be moved, titles changed, etc. If the youth of the class would like to put some ideas together, they have a high chance of being implemented as long as they are legal (and don't cost too much)!

Kevin

sam293

sounds like a good idea, something which i have thinking about for a while!
whose going to be at northampton? and well have a chat about it?
come on 12 youth theres got to be more of us out there!!

Chris Troth

I will be at northampton with the other "youth" helms from Olton Mere. You won't miss us - the girls will be wearing bright pink, as will the boys if the girls have their way! I know Olton Mere is up for hosting an event - I'm soon to be 12 fleet captain. Anyone interested come find the Olton camp at the weekend and we'll have a chat.
Chris

eavsy

ive just put a thread on asking the same thing not going through the others and would love to race against people of my age or similar so i would be pleased to see events aranged for the youth

OMSC

I guess I am an honorary "yoof" as I am in the OMSC scene and part of the revitalisation of the 12s there.
as an official adult, the 12 is seen as a more sexy boat than the enterprise, suited to the weight of a couple of teenagers and, on restricted waters, can provide the adrenaline rush needed for the youger generation to get the thrills and spills they need to keep them going.
and, on the AC Scene, they are cheap.
maybe in conjunction with the ideas that are floating for an AC guest slot in the midlands, we can encourage a youth AC trophy, to get the youngsters in fleets to borrow a boat, realise just how on the edge sailing a 12 is, and that it is a genuine alternative to all the plastic fantastics that require a bright coloured piece of A sym material to get them going. and about 3 grand to even dream of getting on the water.
I know it will make a lot of parents happy when they look at shelling out for a boat when they say "well the baggy is only £700" rather than the "RS is only £3000" 

David_Wilkins

This thread is really encouraging - It's great to hear from the youth element  who realise that it's not necessary to have the latest equipment before they are able to enjoy sailing their Twelves - most of us old folk started in old boats and many years of aspiration and fun were had before we finally got up to date with the latest equipment! Keep working on this FoxiSailor and others. There are some incredibly good value Admirals Cuppers out there and its great not to follow the crowd into the recognised RYA youth classes that so many choose - or are pushed into. 

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

n12 Bottom Banner