National 12 - find out more...

N1952 Porky

Started by National 12 Webmaster, 15 Mar 2007, 10:18

« previous - next »

National 12 Webmaster

The life of N1952 Porky. Design: Smuggler, designed by: Uffa Fox in 1959

Porky

I was recently given Porky as a wedding present.
She's still in pretty good shape after being stored inside for many years.
Does anyone out there have any info on the fit out, rigs set up of these Smugglers? I haven't put the rig in yet, but noticed it's spreader-less alloy section. Was this the norm?
Hoping to do the Vintage Events with my wife as crew!

ken goddard

To new owner of Porky,
I sailed against this boat at Regattas in the 1960's and will put this info. on the web. In what part of the country do you live? Better still call me on 01332 521168.
Ken Goddard.

johnk

A number of boats used a Proctor D section mast without speaders.

Porky

Thanks to you both for the tips, Ken i'll get in touch with you shortly.
Was there such a thing as a rig tuning guide for the Proctor D's of that age?
I'm going to try and put the rig in this weekend. Porky's on a farm in Buckinghamshire, about as far away from the sea as possible. Once she's fixed up a bit we intend to keep her down at Chew Valley Lake SC. Any other Vintage guys or events down that way?
Matt

Peter Starr Martin

I have a Smuggler N1954 'Magician' whose mast is also a d section proctor without spreaders, the rig tensioning is by a pair of shroud tensioners which are stainless levers on a quadrant rachet ( very similar in design to tensioners used on tiger moth aircraft ). I cant put pictures on the net but ther are photos of her and these tensioners on the Hornsea Sailing Club web site photo library. The rig tensioners were fitted in 1969 as far as I can tell by the second owner.

Porky

Hi again, 
I'm at the stage of building some new sails for Porky, getting the sizes right to comply with the area rule is a bit tricky and I am wondering if the Association keeps copies of old/original measurement certificates with sail dimensions listed? 
It would be a great help if somebody can point me in the right direction!
Cheers
Matthew Pedlow

Chadders

Kevan Bloor is the man to ask as he is our certification officer, his number is in the book.  If you havent already joined the association it is well worth doing so.  The nearest active fleet may be at Frampton on Severn where we have just had our 2010 vintage meeting but we would love to see you at any of the events.  I doubt if the tuning guide covers D section masts any more but you can give me a call on 01423 865793 or your vintage rep Tim Gatti will also be happy to help, his number is also in the book.  Porky looks great by the way, look forward to seeing her on the water.  Howard Chadwick aka Chadders aka Chairman NTOA

Porky

Some new sails i built for Porky.
Still work to be done re jib sheeting positions etc

Porky

Porky finally makes it to the water for a re launch after 10-20 years of being cooped up in a shed!!
All went well, we were lucky there was little breeze and flat water at Calvert.
A few problems were detected, firstly the old venturies leak like a sieve and kept the crew (my wife) busy!!!! And the vang system needs some refinement, does anybody know how this proctor drum contraption is supposed to work?!!
Also getting forestay tension, what is the best way of doing this? I have a wire forestay which i lashed on as hard as possible and a wire in the luff of the jib which i pulled up as tighty as possible and cleated it off. the jib luff still sagged well off. Im sure theres a better way....?:)

ken goddard

"734"
I have a Proctor drum on the kicking strap on my boat. If you would like to email to me, so that I can get your email address, I will send to you a sketch of the arrangement that I use. I will also send to you a copy of a page from the programme of the 1961 Teignmouth Regatta which shows that Porky won one of the races.
Ken Goddard (N.2300 Duodecimal)
goddards.peartreehouse@btinternet.com

johnk

With regard to the jib shape, you should sail with the forestay slack and the jib halyard tight. Usually the jib halyard would have had a snatch block to give a triple purchase or a highfield lever such as Pinnel & Bax 70-A4260. A less likely option would be a rack on the mast such as  P&B 70-4205. Your crew heaves forward on the forestay a metre or so above deck level while you fix a loose eye on the halyard over the appropriate rack lug. Your crew will need gloves.

Ian Smith

Porky was my first boat and, yes I'm responsible for the bright pink name (never could find the right graphic though...). Nice to know if she is still around and in good condition.

Porky

A few more pics of Porky at the National 12 open at Milton Keynes Sailing Club last weekend, haven't been out on her for quite a while and never against other 12's and she was surprisingly quick for an old girl!

n12 Bottom Banner