National 12 - find out more...

The end of an era.

Started by David_Wilkins, 09 Nov 2008, 12:00

« previous - next »

David_Wilkins

For the first time in 35 years I don't have a National Twelve!!:'(:'(
It's a day of very mixed feelings.  Frances & I are sailing together again ;D;D which is brilliant. To do so and to enjoy some excellent local racing in Poole Harbour we have got ourselves a Merlin which, whilst a very nice boat is not as pretty or as enjoyable to sail (at least for
me) as Cooked to Perfection. The laws of physics do say that at 24 -ish stones we should do better in the Merlin than in the Twelve.
Sadly our lack of experience in the class and of the tides in Poole Harbour is currently ensuring that these laws go unproven!
Just maybe when we have more time and cash we will be able to justify another Twelve but for the time being we must devote these resources to establishing that we are worthy to be full members at Parkstone YC. maybe when I've started withering away a few stones as I get older we'll be a more competitive weight?

We have many, many happy memories from the past 35 years and I must be carefull ot to keep tapping away on this keyboard all night! We have formed many great friendships through the Class and indeed have the Class to thank for bringing us together.  Thank you to all who have made them such good years.

I look forward to watching the enthusaism of the new youth to the class taking it from strength to strength and will watch with interest from afar. I might well be looking to borrow a Twelve for 2009 Burton "Week" which I've no doubt is going to be a brilliant and very well attended event.

Look ot for some impressive results from 3481 in 2009!
Good luck Andy & Vicky!

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

ken goddard

David,
Many thanks for your years of joining with us all on the water and best wishes for your continued sailing,
Ken Goddard (N.2300)

MikeDay

David

Good luck to you both in your elongated Twelve - we've had some good competition over the last 35 years and let's hope we might see you for a guest appearance now and then.

Mike D
N3496

John Meadowcroft

I cant beat Mike's 35 years, but I too will miss the competition.  Good luck with the MR.  Make sure you take it to Salcombe one day. 

David_Wilkins

Thanks.
The MR will most certainly be doing Salcombe sometime.
As you can see I still can't keep away from the 12 Website!
I can't pretend I'm not missing you lot and really do hope that I will be able to make a few guest appearances.
Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

kevan bloor (Guest)

Yes sorry to hear that you are leaving to sail Merlin  ( did hear a Rumour on the Merlin website. )
Glad to hear you are sailing with Frances again  and good luck at Parkstone.
Maybe see you at a Merlin event

Kevan

thedodger

David, my 12 is yours anytime Rosie and I are not using her, you should therefore be able to use her for  few outings in 2009. I see it as my job to personally ensure your absence from the calss is as shorter spell as possible. Simon

n12 Bottom Banner