National 12 - find out more...

Smallest car for towing

Started by philipcosson, 08 Nov 2008, 08:36

« previous - next »

Tim Gatti

This looks like a small Daihatsu - seems to be doing a stirling job with this oversized rib. By comparison a modern 12 should be a doddle

biggles (Guest)

I once towed a Wayfarer behind a Hilman Imp. Starting was ok providing I was patient. Stopping however required both feet on the brake peddle. Modern cars will be no problem.

angus

It is not the towing that will be the problem I have never looked at an A2 but I cannt help thinking that you will have problems stowing the whole family camping and sailing gear in it for a weekend away. Just for the record while my hona 1.4 petrol civic had no problems pulling my 12 (It pulled much heavier loads of firewood) the fuel consumption went through the floor. Now with 1.9 desil skoda I notice little difference in consumption. I also think a lot depends on how much towing you intend doing. with a heavier bigger engined car you will probably do a lot less gear changing making it less tiring to drive. Not important if you are just knocking around localy but it can make a big difference when you have a 2-300 mile drive on a friday night.
As for funny car stories I once spent a weekend driving around the west coast in a mini van with vertually no brakes and 2and a half gears (4th was intermitent). One of the missing gears was reverse, quite important on single track roads when your brakes are none existant. Reversing was acheived by us both opening are doors and pushing with one foot. Worked fine on the flat. And I wasn't even a student:o
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

andymck

I have seen an old picture of the Wood family turning up to a Trent Valley open, probably in the 70's towing with a motorcycle, and the wife and kids in the side car. 12's are so light, its just like having an extra passenger. Managed to get from Porter Brothers to Tenby, via the Wilson trophy towing a Lark, with 3 passengers loaded up for a weeks sailing in a 1.1 fiesta in the 90's. Even got pulled for doing 50 through a small Welsh village at midnight, he let us off when I told the copper it took so long to get to that speed we darn't slow down. The Brakes were never quite the same after that trip. A 1.4 should do the trick easily, any extra kit can go in the boat if necesary.
AndyMck
Andy Mck<br />3529

simon moss

I used to tow my 12 on a very heavy trailer with a 2CV that 0.62L and that had no trouble!
Simon.

jeremyf

Go for a Mini Van !!
Once towed a Fireball with mine whilst having another and both masts on the roof. Went by ferry to France on the trip to Hyers.
Drove for about 2 days, got out the car at the club, tripped and broke my leg.
Had negligible money, no insurance etc etc so had to be strapped up as best as possible and drive back eating asprin . Got to Dover and passed out so some ferry bloke had to unload the car/ boat for me. They didnt bill me which was lucky. As said " Students eh !"

Chadders

In support of Mini's I did the Whitstable Burton in about 71 in an 850 mini with 4 people in it and no problems except we had to travel at night to help with the overheating.  No problem with any modern car I would have thought as long as you can get the gear in.

thedodger

On the subject of small cars, I've found it a little difficult to tow mine behind my bugatti veyron, tends to get airborne over 160mph, any ideas how to stop this happening?

Martin

Chop it in for a Ferrari, the Foolish tows just fine on the back of mine  (in my dreams!!!!!)

icecreamman

You could always try reversing, but remember that the steering is back to front with the trailer on doing this.
;D

duncan

As I see it the problem with probably most small cars & a 12 is the width, or lack of, in the car.  The lack of length will be useful for that shortish gap, but then you will be well used to judging distances, just remember not to claim "starboard" or "water", the chances are the other driver won't respond fast enough ! 
Watch the mast at the front, traffic wardens don't appreciate the mast passing their heads when you (stop?) infront of them.  Best to tow in a convertible, the front of the mast is so low it is about a nasty height & they definitely don't like that.
I use my old convertible TR6 http://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr6.htm for towing & don't notice the boat until I look in the mirror.  But then with a "6" you don't bother with the mirror, you've passed them anyway.  As the "6" is only about 4 1/2 feet wide you learn to judge overtaking widths, length isn't important - at that speed distance is all relative (I think that's Einstein).   Duncan
Duncan,  &amp; still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

GarryR

Small car or large car.

I have had a 51 plate Rover 75 estate diesel for 4 years.  40mpg no problem towing my old Merlins or Firefly, plenty of length inside for sails all rolled up not folded plus the foils so no problem with stuff bumping about.  Great for long journies - I attend the CVRDA events coming from Aberdeen to Thames or Frensham and am as fresh at the end of the trip as at the start.    Get the BMW diesel engine (chain timing NOT belt)  and mine has 108000 on the clock so good for the same again - I saw one advertised ex taxi with 423000 on the clock for £1500!!  pick them up for buttons although beginning to compete with scrap merchants who want to sell the bits.  I have had no problems getting spares.

n12 Bottom Banner