National 12 - find out more...

Fastest 12 in Newcastle???

Started by simon moss, 24 Nov 2008, 11:14

« previous - next »

simon moss

Is Nutmeg the fastest 12 in the North??(not on the water)
Having just left the Tate Winter event, and driving for abot 5 miles I joined the A1 and as I passed the metro Center there was a loud bang.
Imagine my disbelief when Nutmeg appeard in the ouside lane of the A1 doing about 45mph by herself,Sparks flew from the trailer,I breaked and she pulled in infront of me coming to rest in the inside lane inside infront of me!!!!!!!.
A quick check revealed no damage to either boat or car.
I hitched up again, properly this time and went home!.
I got away very very fortunately and I think I will double check the hitch in the future.

Simon.

Jane Wade

Hi
You should have an additional strop that connects the trailer to your tow bar to prevent these kind of incidents.  It is now a legal requirement so might be time for some modifications!

Jane 

Chadders

Hi Simon
Jane is correct but well done on pulling over to allow Nutmeg to overtake!!  Old shrouds or shroud extensions with a stainless clip make a good safety strop.  If you dont have something to cut down or use let me know and will look in my old bits that may come in box!  Howard.  PS I thought Mark S was the fastest 12 at Newburn but it seems you have eclipsed his well deserved win!

Lukepiewalker

Oh look... there's a boat just like ours!!!

GarryR

I bought a length of chain from B&Q wih one of those screw together links and slip that over the ball when towing.  The wire strop which came with the trailer was complete rubbish - it actually pulled out as the talurit type splice was useless.  Much more confident with two lengths of chain.  But I still check the towhitch is on properly.

duncan

If anyone has to buy a strop, watch you don't get sold one for a braked trailer as they are much lighter and designed to snap once the brake is pulled on, reason being the "caravan" will stop and you don't want it unhitched & following you.  Unbraked trailer strops should not brake & keep said object behind you.
Simplist way to watch the boat is to buy the lowest sports car you can find & you will always see any trailer behind you.  Also makes people look 8).   Duncan   
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

angus

should have had your gps set that would have been one up on the mothies;D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

jeremyf

I have found that the galvanised steel wire covered with a plastic coating available at B&Q , linked into a figure of 8 with a couple of their U Bolts is more than adequte and very cost effective. Also it doesnt spike your fingers or fray, and is easy to wipe clean.
Try and adjust the length so it doesnt allow the hitch to touch the floor when 'un hitched' or the sudden digging in of the coupling as it hits tarmac will be most unpleasant - ask me how I know !

n12 Bottom Banner