National 12 - find out more...

will it fly?

Started by paul turner, 20 Nov 2008, 09:26

« previous - next »

paul turner

I have posted some more back ground info about "Shotgun" N2359 on the boat database but would appreciate observations on the attached photos - will she fly? :-/

paul turner

Oops, lost the two more telling photos! Ignore the red keel in previous photo - that is nothing to do with Shotgun! And the condition is far worse than the photos might lead you to believe!

paul turner

Greetings All! I was rather hoping that I might get a few learned observations from the experts out there as to whether "Shotgun" night prove to be a "dead duck" or a potential flyer. :-/

Martin

Dunno but it makes a lovely garden feature!!!

Derek

The most interesting angle to look at the hull from would be 3/4 rear and level with the back corner - which unfortunately puts you the other side of the wall and the laurel bush! Very square at mid-length isn't it. That doesn't give you the best surface area to volume ratio which would be more curved. A strange thing to do when you have seven planks to play with but more common with only 4....

paul turner

Yo Derek! Will try to get a suitable photo posted when we turn the boat over as we are currently stripping the gunwales. Are you suggesting that the boat will not be a good weight carrier because of poor surface area to volume? Do you see the yot as Mike did ie good on the sea for off-wind legs? :-/

Tim Gatti

Hi Paul - how is Shotgun's restoration plan progressing - did you get the ply you required? Have you taken a chain saw to the plate case yet?  We eagerly await your update. Tim

grazz

Tim Gatti

Paul - that's a very neat repair at the transom - lucky Mike had some leftover matching scraps of ply.  Exterior of the hull looks in great condition - how's the interior coming on?  Did any of the cat wee removal cures work? Tim

paul turner

Tim, Roger used the t/flap cut-outs and the top of the transom now cut away to repair the rotten parts of transom before grafting on the three pieces of planking from Mike; too complicated for me to attempt. The rest of the hull is ok except all the rubbing strakes have had to be replaced (totally rotten) with some strips of teak which were handy (and free) and in a few places we have had to fill the planking just undeneath with West. You will see that we have removed the bilge keels and the main keel had to be reduced because of damage - we still have a problem with a rotten section along the starboard side of the centreboard case but we are going to put that repair on hold as the boat is going to Gerry Ledger over Xmas for a new (wide/lightweight) centreboard case; Chadders has very kindly donated a wooden board. I don't intend refitting the brass keel bands - unless I really need to; I thought the simple solution to fixing the centreboard slot gasket would be to stick it to the keel - any thoughts or tips? Those of the more sensitive noses than I seem to think that the smell is not cat, but worse. However, mercifully the odure is disappearing slowly but I will give the offending area a wipe down with Jeyes before whizzing down to Gerry. I await with interest Derek's further observations, or indeed, form anyone! Cheers, Paul PS and when the boat comes back we have the rather odd rig (possibly ex-Lark?) to sort out! Maybe she'll be ready for the Burton?

n12 Bottom Banner