National 12 - find out more...

Leigh & Lowton Summer Event

Started by ken goddard, 27 Mar 2009, 06:57

« previous - next »

ken goddard

I was dawdling around central Lancashire yesterday - as one would - and thought that I should take a look at the waters of Leigh & Lowton S.C. where this year's Summer Event is being held. It's on Pennington Flash near Leigh (but don't inadvertently head for the P.F. picnic site).
I was pleasantly surprised how large the Flash is, and the potential excellence of the venue. No islands; not too many trees and those only on the south bank; a nearly flattened colliery spoil heap on the north bank which will cause no trouble and a generally flat countryside. The event is also a Gill Series meeting so the water is clearly big enough to satisfy Kevin Iles' fastidious requirements.
From the Midlands and South, head up the M.6, get off at Junction 22, head north on the A.579, cross over the A.580 and you're almost there.
'Looks like a very good venue! I hope to see there!
Ken Goddard,
N.2300, Duodecimal

Kevin

Ken,

I wasn't aware I had any fastidious requirements. Would you please enlighten me as to what these might be?

(Isn't it funny how you are always the last to know about these things!)

Kevin

Gareth (Guest)

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the positive review of the club, I would like to support all your opinions of Leigh and Lowton SC, but I have to comfess I'm not what you might call impartial! I'd just like to add that, in addtion to plenty of water space we also have pleny of shore side space for camping, campervans and anything else really! Looking forward to seeing a Flash full of 12s.
Cheers
Gareth
N12 3162 Bicycle Clips

icecreamman

Is this where Manchester University used to, and maybe still sail?

Derek

It is where I sailed against them (and occasionally for them - don't ask) in the late '70s and early '80s. What vintage are you talking about?
Derek

Crusader 3244

I think MU hosted the BUSA Team Race Champs at L&L circa Jan 1978. I sailed for Bradford. It was strong and wicked cold; quite possibly the coldest I have ever been. My crew succumbed to early stages of hyperthermia and was 48 hours recovering. Chance has it that I have never re-visited the Flash since:- even though we now live less than thirty miles away.
I think my traveling may be quite restricted in 2009 but I would at least hope to attend L&L. A good turn-out of 12s at Pennington would be excellent.

- Chris
Chris, 3244

icecreamman

Hem hem Derek, same sort of time as you.

n12 Bottom Banner