National 12 - find out more...

THE LONG AWAITED NATIONAL 12 YOUNG PEOPLES SERIES

Started by sam293, 02 Dec 2008, 12:28

« previous - next »

sam293

thanks tim, really glad your son is interested, yes i forgot to mention all boats should be safe and carry a valid measurement and buoyancy certificate. if boats look un safe the race comittie can refuse you the rite to race.
thanks for pointing that out tim very good point that i should of though of. yes we certaintly dont want any sinking boats

Moon Shallow

Hi, thanks for that looking forward to it all. and i asure u my boat will not sink anymore! It is having the rodger angell treatment! it was certainly a learning experience having 2 sail a sinking boat across a lake as a begginer with an even more novice crew and a safety officer who cudnt drive the boat and crashed into us then left us sinking... it is something that is not 2 be repeated. But keeping my eyes open for anything going around for the youth opens as i dont think i will be a confident enough helm by these events so if u need a crazy crew then let me know. But going to get in training anyway now Pink Team has a coach!!
Thanks MoonShallow

Secret Agent (Guest)

Well done to Sam and all concerned for their efforts in putting this well received initiative together.:)

I just wanted to pick up an aside that has cropped up in the thread and that is the topic of 'Match Racing'.
To make clear the distinction 'Team Racing' is generally two teams of three boats each sailing a mini series of races (say three) against each other. 'Match Racing' on the other hand is one boat against another and in dinghies this might be of short duration over a very compact course.
Only a couple of weeks ago (Nov 22nd) Etherow Country Park Sailing Club hosted an event billed, somewhat tongue-in-cheek perhaps, as the Enterprise Match Racing World Championships. This agent had reason to be close to Marple on that day and took a minor detour for some reconnoisance. Time was tight so I didn't actually engage any organisers or participants in conversation. I didn't attract too much attention and I sure they didn't supect me of spying for the 12s.
Etherow 'A' placed forth overall at the 24hr and were first Ent home. One of their members, Tony Woods, is current Ent Masters Champ.
Anyway, the Match Racing event appeared to be a success and well attended. I'd say there were a number of visitors, some from as far afield as Glossop for sure, and in total thay seemed to have more than twenty teams. It looks like the six boats provided were local to the club.  I can't report who was there because  there'd been some sort of ballot for placement in the rounds and teams were listed on the progress chart by their psuedonyms (ie. Argentina, Italy, Croatia .......)
Start sequence was 2-1-Go! and with six boats they could start three flights of two in very quick succession. Very short custom course with windward, reach, downwind, and windward to finish. (Being Compstall water sometimes all those on one leg!) Over in ten minutes, quick changeover and off again. It all looked good fun run along the lines of World Cup qualifying rounds followed by knockout stages to the final. But for the fact that crew knew just how cold had been forecast we might have enlisted.

This seems a great format to broker relations with other clubs and classses in the region, local unis, potential new youth/ new blood etc. Such an event might appeal to your target age range but need not be exclusive to the 'yoof'

Best potentail venues are those where a satisfactory short course can be set close to launch and one with jetties aids quick changeovers.

sam293

Yes it is to me MATCH racing not team racing, Good idea on making it open to everyone, so yes MATCH RACING FOR ALL N12 SAILORS WHATEVER YOUR AGE. The enterprise match racing worlds is what sparked my idea. although haveing not match raced for well over a year i fear i will be rusty

Moon Shallow

Over a year!!! i have never heard of it before... i have heard of team racing. But not match racing. Does this mean the Pink Team cant sail as a team?? someone is going 2 hav 2 explain in terms tht i will understand (suitable for blondes)

sam293

heres a basic idea of what it is
Match race sailing is easy to follow. A match race consists of two  boats racing against each other. With effective boat handling
and prudent use of wind and currents, a trailing boat can escape the
grasp of the leader and pass. The leader uses blocking techniques to
hold the other boat back. This one-on-one duel is a game of strategy
and tactics. There is only one winner.
thankyou isaf sight for that one
i will explain more when i have half hour or so spare to draw up a NOR

Moon Shallow

thanks 4 tht
and tht is enough info for me at the momment thaxs, to much 2 soon confuses me lol

Chris Troth

I wasnt saying that team racing = match racing. I just thought team racing would be interesting to do.....
Chris

johnk

In the 1950's and sixties the Nat 12s did have a team racing event. There was certainly one at Minima and one at Pitsford in that time.

icecreamman

Backing up what Tim said, I remember when the Burton was last held at Scarborough and I was on one of the rescue boats that had been brought down from Tynemouth. Someone who had a Warlock (early GRP boat) had been hit and had cracked their foredeck and then capsized. When we got to them they were completely awash even with the foam buoyancy that was needed to be built in as well as the tanks. Without being rescued and then pulled back home this couple would have been in dire straights indeed. On the bright side, by the time we got half way back the boat was able to be sailed back under its own steam so to speak.

Crusader 3244

Quote]-

"This seems a great format to broker relations with other clubs and classses in the region, local unis, potential new youth/ new blood etc. Such an event might appeal to your target age range but need not be exclusive to the 'yoof'"
Well done Sam.........:)
Subject to how event is organised those taking part in 'heats' can get to do lots of short races, starts, and close tactics so a Match Race event is a gr8 way to hone those skills. It's the sort of thing that has the potential to piggy-back well with a training event. (imoa)
If the objective is also to catch the interest of 'none 12 peeps' then they might appreciate some time for casual familiarisation?
Chris, 3244

grazz

Just to let you all know, we are trying to arrange some coaching at OMSC if we can find a suitable date. Watch this space as we may miss the print date for the fixtures list. 

Good work Sam on getting the enthusiasm going at the junior end of the fleet - the whole class is very keen to see more juniors on the water.  

Graham & Zoe

Chris Troth

I havn't seen a finalised fixture list for OMSC yet but most saturdays will be free. I'm hoping to get hold of the list very soon.
Chris

Crusader 3244

Hi Foxi,
Team racing is great fun and I miss my time at uni where I made the team. Being at Bradford, hosting the highly sociable 'Bradford Barrel' was memorable. My year at the BUSA Team Champs hosted by Manchester at Leigh and Lowton was dire:- it was the coldest I have ever been and my crew was significantly hyper!
Boats that lend themselves to Team Racing tend to be fairly rigid OD or RD such as Firefly, Enterprise, or Lark so crews can use a consistent layout as they have to switch between alloted boatss. Generally Uni SCs who participate in their regional league keep a fleet of at least six (plus spare) tubs all of a similar age so in the interest of fairness hulls and rigs are equally new or ragged.  Single handers such as Laser/Solo can be used but two man/two sail is arguably the definative form. Crew can be a very important tactician in something which is often called 'chess on the water'

Probably the most prestigious event for Team Racing is the Wilson Trophy, an historic event hosted by West Kirby YC on a marine lake near Liverpool.
http://www.wksc.net/wilsontrophy/index.asp
The 2009 event takes place at the beginning of May and they're taking entries. I don't know much about it but it seems Teams generally enter with the backing of their club (like WLYC 24hr). So far as I might guess there should not be anything to bar a class association from sponsoring a team. Event is over three days and costs £450 per team. WKSC provide Fireflys.
If there is adeqaute interest it might win the backing of the C'tee.

Birmingham Uni sail at Bartley SC and appear to host an event called the 'Brummie Bender' for Uni teams in November. Not too far from you and may be worth a look.
Chris, 3244

Chris Troth

Hi. I'm a member of birmingham uni sailing team and I was at the bender. Was great fun. Was thinking of using team racing as a training exercise similar to the match racing, but going to an event might be fun too.
Chris

n12 Bottom Banner