National 12 - find out more...

Midland Area 2009

Started by paul turner, 10 Feb 2009, 04:17

« previous - next »

paul turner

Greetings
With all the discussion about the Burton, NWNW, the Youth Series etc I wouldn't like the new style MIDLAND AREA ARMADA TROPHY SERIES to be overlooked. It's taken a lot of effort to re-tuned this into a "rivers and ponds" series for club sailors (especially AC, 4 plank and vintage yotters); we have left out the big waters, focusing instead on the smaller clubs.
There is one meeting a month May to August with a final special two-venue event in September. We have welcomed back Redesmere on to the curcuit, and we have a new venue this year at Welland. Last year 62 boats competed at some time in the MAAT and, although we may not get the same total numbers we will hopefully persuade more club sailors to travel, if only once!
Please see the main website for details. (And I will try to do better this year - in 2008 I came last despite winning at Olton Mere?) :o
Positive comments and messages of support very welcome!
Paul N2020, N2359, N2487, N3157 :K)
Midland Area Rep 07710 324 800 paul@alverbanksails.co.uk

Chris Troth

I'm aiming to attend all of the events (and I've organised a bit of a party at OMSC during the special event in september). Looking forward to it!
Chris

martin 1262

Paul
I also be aiming to do as many as possible this year, esp Trent Valley, Hykeham, Welland and Olton Mere.
See you out there!  :)

Martin
N3458

Crusader 3244

Hi Paul, Chris, and Martin,

It would make sense for me to participate as much as possible in the Midland series as the recipe really suits my AC and provides waht I like best about sailing and 12s. Since the acquisition of 3244 on August 31st the travelling to OM, TVSC, Ripon and Yeadon was great intro to 12s and 12ies; and great re-familairisation of my old passion for the sport.
OM have a relaxed and likeable approach to racing and yet take hospitality quite seriously; I like their priorities. Pleasure craft at the charming TVSC add in some interesting tactical dynamics, the wind blows at Ripon, and Yeadon has at least one mark guaranteed to proviide entertainment and amusement for spectators.
Living in Stockport some Midland meets are attractive as are some Northern venues. I'll lend as much support as I can and nothing would delight me more than being able to give much time to sailing in 2009. So in aspiration, at least ......but sadly I think I will be denied the luxury of travelling this season.

Aside from the news headlines that have implications for everyone there are additional uncertainties in my life at the moment. If I get my way I will have time and rescources before too long to meet my yotting addiction with yotting fixes.  Meantime .......

It is good that Redesmere has a place in the Midland calandar this year. There is then at least one circuit event that I might hope to support. Am I right to think the event coincides with a one day home event for two handers? No effort will be spared to make Redesmere a good and friendly event for 12s. Now that a certain golden olympian has accepted the clubs offer of honorary membership I wonder might we see him attracted to the event, perhaps by the offer of a loaned boat? Even more importantly any chance that Martin, Matt and White Heat joining the party?  3458 was once associated with the club, wasn't it?

Spring is nearly upon us. It is high time I addressed my lengthy snag-list.
-Chris
Chris, 3244

martin 1262

Chris
Yep 3458 used to being to the Whitehead's and I seem to recall they sailed or still sail there!
If possible we shall make the trip over the pennines and make a day of it. If Matt comes will depend if he is with me or his Mum that weekend.
Will see you very soon!

Martin

andyp

Welland YC looks forward to welcoming the 12's this year and everyone's pretty excited about it, for those not familiar with the area it's a fairly narrow river but does have two 45 degree bends and the course can be up to a mile and half up river so there's plenty of variety. If you can't tack well before you come to Welland you will be able to by the time you leave
Andy

n12 Bottom Banner