National 12 - find out more...

Trailer mast support

Started by tonyelgar, 04 Feb 2009, 08:00

« previous - next »

tonyelgar

Does anyone know where to source the post that supports the mast at the front of a road base? I figured I could get one that U bolts on but don't seem to be able to find any.

Cheers
Tony
ex 2760/3255

Dare Barry (Guest)

Hi. Dont you have any mates with a welder. Any metal stockist will sell you a bit tube etc. Much cheaper than buying the real thing.
Dare

Kevin

If you don't know anyone with a welder, try Mersea Trailers on 0870 9099887 or email them at sales at merseatrailers dot com. They can send whole trailers by post so should be able to cope mailing you a mast support.

Kevin

paul turner (Guest)

I emailed them last Wednesday (28th) for a quote/prices on a new N12 trailer - no reply yet! :-/

Fran G (Guest)

I once drove my N12 on its road trailer into the block of flats I was living in and the only thing that gave way was the mast support and home-made mast support that I had attached to the lighting set.  Rob O'Neill at Welsh Harp/Sovereign Trailers sold me a new mast support for something like £14.95 which seemed like good value.  I never told anyone that I had knocked chunks out of the block of flats. 

Might be worth giving Rob a call.  Don't know about delivery....

Fran G
ex3431

Antony (Guest)

Before the new owner of Zippy reads the last post it is not clear from what Frances wrote that it was only the top of the mast that actually made contact with the block, as she drove the car along a drive under the building, and the 'chunks' landed on the car and not the boat.  I was not there but the story always makes me smile.
The mast, amazingly, survived that and plenty of other abuse for many years before finally passing away last year.
Antony

tonyelgar

Dare, I do know a welder but he is a fireman and quite busy just recently so i was looking for other options, but I may well end up talking to him. Sounds like welsh harp might do a good price tho! Thanks for all the input people!
tony
ex 2760/3255

Jane Wade

If only Brownie had been so lucky when he wrapped a 12 mast around a petrol pump.  Mast support ok but mast in two pieces.

Jerry G (Guest)

Because we mostly trail behind a 4x4, we needed a longer mast support so that the mast would clear the roof of the vehicle.  Asked my son, who is an offshore engineer, if he could get his workshop to make me one.  They did, in marine grade stainless steel!  Very distinguished!

Tom Stewart (Guest)

We stock them at P&B long and short. Char and I have a long mast support which we clamp on to a standard one so that together they We also  clear our camper van. Call 01604 592808
We also have U bolts.
Tom

duncan (Guest)

Tony, I managed with a wooden prop through the mast hole into the mast step, not perfect as the mast was a bit unbalanced and made sure there was achock under the boat for long or fast journies. Fine for short ones  Duncan

GarryR (Guest)

My trailer has a post about 9" long welded vertically to the trailer base.  The mast support and crutch is a tube  which you slip over the post so if you want a spare longer support you just change over the tube and crutch as required.  Works a treat.  It originally came with holes through the post to bolt the tube on but this weakened the post and it snapped.  It's not necessary to bolt the tube to the post - no way is it going to jump up 9" when there is a mast resting on it.  Also allows you to take the support when not in use.

n12 Bottom Banner