National 12 - find out more...

Southport 24 hour race 19th/20th September

Started by sam293, 22 Feb 2009, 01:20

« previous - next »

sam293

Dear All,
As some of you will know I was trying to organize a
team for the Southport 24h last year, but a bit too late and couldn't get a team
together, I am ideally looking for a team of  12  ish people, for those of you
that don't know much about it here are some more details.

The Southport/ WLYC 24 Hour Race; The UK's No.1 dinghy endurance
race
.   The 24 Hour Race is the premiere opportunity for  teams to
compete for serious trophies (and status), whilst also enjoying the unique
hospitality provided by one of the best social events in the dinghy racing
calendar (The social event lasts for 48 hours - Friday,
through to Sunday)

The race is sailed on the relatively safe waters of the Marine Lake at
Southport, and racing is continuous for 24 Hours even in extreme weather
conditions.   Entries are accepted from Sailing Clubs, Class Associations and
Universities throughout the UK, with occasional visits from Eire, France and
even the USA.   Crew and equipment/sail changes are permitted (in a specially
designated docking area) during the race.

Don't be put off by the fact that the race is
sailed in ents larks of gp14's ( i will find a boat to borrow for the event) its
great fun and the small number of one design classes racing makes it very
competitive and tight racing.
This is a very competitive and fun event, usually
attracting 60+ boats.

OMSC

I have a competitive enterprise that could be used. so the boat is not a problem.
I am sure a lot of the olton mere guys would be interested, plenty of time to get this organised:)

Roly Mo

Our experiences of the 24hr race wouldn't ever include the use of the words 'relatively safe' - it's one of those weekends when the wind always seems to blow and you can spend time swimming on every lap as you tip in at the gybe mark!  That said, it is a great event and one which everyone should experience at least once in their sailing career!  We have decided that members of Team RolyMo are either too old or too young to take part now but we might take a trip across the Pennines to see the event if a 12 team are taking part!  
RM

Lukepiewalker

Ah... the joys of pulling on the soggy wooly bear in a tent before trying to get into a cold, slightly damp drysuit. Did I mention the tent kept blowing down... The shroud pin falling out on the port side, closely followed by the shroud pin falling out on the starboard side (keel stepped masts can be right handy at times...)...

Roly Mo

We remember:
Friends, very proud of new car, who woke to found the bonnet had been sandblasted
Someone from WLYC coming along and saying 'he's not making any sense but we think he might belong to your club' and promptly dumping an extremely drunk team member with us, who proceeded to tell us at length about the wonderful hic lady hic he'd met hic who had hic 47 taxis hic and who he was hic going to hic marry before he fell asleep
Waking up in the car in our drysuits, seemingly having only been asleep for about 5 minutes, to be told 'your turn next - get up'
Capsizing at the gybe 4 times in a row
Coming home feeling very pleased that we'd been there, done that and got the metaphorical tee shirt (first year)
Coming home and wondering why we'd been back (years 2 and 3!).
Happy days!
RM
PS - ICM - did you ever go there?

Lukepiewalker

I think it was 1997 I went. It was 'the windy year', after a few calm ones... Which meant lots of people gave up and got very drunk instead. Which meant the noise from the disco tent (reminds me of a bad joke) kept me awake until about 2 am (bluddy Chumbawumba...). And someone was sick on one of the seats in the grandstand, which was nice. I do have a vague memory of a large catering tent too though...

Roly Mo

Years after our time!  We were there mid to late 80's but hard to remember exact years as it is so very long ago . . . .

sam293

come on now, were trying to encourage the class to do this not put them off

GregPitt

24 hour race!!! love it!!! all of what these guys have said is so true but thats what makes it so good. it something that you have to do, the year wouldn't be compleat without it, but on the other hand your glad there is only on event a year!!! Hope this is encouraging enough. I will be there but sadly already signed up to a team.
See you in the beer tent!

Greg N3473

Chris (Guest)

Sam, you have clearly hit upon a hot one here!
Southport
Vingt-Quatre Heures is great fun for young adults and oldies alike.
Which all goes to show we're all big kids at heart!
Sam, if you get this off the ground I think you should volunteerfor the 0300 - 0400 slot because posting on this topic at 0120 you would appear to have the staminina!:)
A great idea, great recipe for fun, and a great way to promote twelves. If you decide to take an Ent that simplifies issue of crews' familiarity with kites.
Good luck. I could lend my support. I may have divided loyalties between club and class. So may other people.
(But) If the choice comes down to GP for club and Ent for class then the choice would be a no-brainer for me. 8)

Finally, pride is at stake as much on the marine lake as in the bar and disco.
-Dancing is not my strong point but I can command respect in the bar!
-Kit is always in the car.

icecreamman

I have done the 24 hour race several times and was actually in the chocolates as a small crew for a fastest lap done in the wee small hours. As an older (but not wiser) student I did it again with the beer which always seems to be a very integral part of the event. In the large marquee I remember there being a competition to see who could get the highest up the pole in the middle.
As everyone has mentioned previously it is a great event to do before you get too long in the tooth when a 24 hour bar, drum and bass going hammer and tongs all night, lack of sleep, sleeping in the car or the wrong tent, losing count of how many times you dropped it at the gybe mark when it is blowing old boots and all that rubbish.

duncan

Ah yes, late 80's I think, windy enough to sail up wind with jib alone, back stays rigged, tacking up the down wind side to find our jib pole in the dark (we did too) - these were the days 
Duncan,  & still missing the (liquid) bar on the 10 tonner 

n12 Bottom Banner