National 12 - find out more...

carbon on a dart?!?!

Started by Moon Shallow, 25 Mar 2009, 10:05

« previous - next »

Moon Shallow

Has anyone ever put a carbon rig on a paper dart? was thinking about giving it a go, to save weight, look pretier, stiffer, no horrible screws and did i say look prettier lol.;D
Currently a needle spar mast, boat had a nice refurb and going fast, would changing the rig make a big difference? or just try it for a laugh?
thanks naomi

sam293

ermm not much point putting a carbon rig on a boat worth less than the mast.
IMHO a paper dart will struggle to beat a db in any conditions, so keep it origonal and aim at beating the ac fleet fare and square.

you wont really be saving enough weight to make a difference.
focus more on where you point the boat and how you sail it rather than how much you spend on it.
a chequebook will only take you so far, raw tallent and effort will put you further up the fleet than a carbon rig.

Chris Troth

I must say, you were far too close to my double bottom last weekend. I do think selling up to that guy who wants a grp 12 and buying the pudding for sale at rutland would be a better choice....but that's just me. And no. You're not borrowing my carbon rig just to see if it works.
Chris

Moon Shallow

ohhh why not chris?!?!?! wudnt it be fun just to try? and i love my dart so im not letting it go as it is very fast... just needs to be faster!!! and it will beat pinky anyday at the mere. lol

Chris Troth

Mine would be too short for your boat - remember mine sits on the double floor.....There's a nice rig on the soapdish at the other end of the boatpark though....And I won't believe that 'til you beat me!
Chris

tonyelgar

Linton at full force boats in weymouth had a carbon spar i considered for my baggy. It needs some fettling (damaged mast track) but it could do, i think the contact details are on the new boats page of this website. It was just the section mind, no fittings of any sorts, but you could possibly transfer some from your ally mast depending on what it is. I didn't go for it in the end, there was so much to do to 3255 I didnt have enough money or time left this winter!

Tony
ex 2760/3255

Moon Shallow

the idea was the soap dish... as it does have a decent trolley, foils, road base etc. just transfer as soap dishes are slowwwww. lol:)

tonyelgar

does the soapdish need a home then?
ex 2760/3255

Lukepiewalker

Ah, but the soapdish is a historical artefact.
Of course, if you got a carbon rig you could always transfer it onto your next boat and so forth.

tonyelgar

even a proctor "c" or similar seems to have a big weight saving over a needlespar - and its lots cheaper than carbon! I was suprised after the needlespar i had on grimalkin how light the "C" was on the baggy!
And I agree with luke, having read back over some "soapdish" threads it seems no matter how slowwww some boats are there is a reason to keep em going - every dog has its day! (a phrase someone uttered to me when i bought the baggy, and im still not sure how to take it!)

Tony
ex 2760/3255

n12 Bottom Banner