National 12 - find out more...

New member questions - and HELLO!

Started by emzcrusader, 29 Apr 2009, 07:50

« previous - next »

emzcrusader

Hi all,
I am a new member (well a new member's dad) as we have just bought N3379.  Looking forward to playing around the South (and painting) .  Emily and I are based at Spinnaker SCand the boat is even more yellow than Simon's!.  A couple of get-going questions please.....
Do N12 covers come offf the peg?  She is a Crusader.  Recommended suppliers?
Is there a club insurance type scheme thing....
Phil
N3379

Antony (Guest)

Phil,
The second question is the easy one to answer.  Assuming that you are a member of the NTOA then you can insure by telephone (ie not on the website) through Noble and if you tell them that you are a member of the NTOA they seem to take £5 of the price.  It is obviously possible that another broker will be more than £5 cheaper so this might not help you!
The first is 'almost'.  P&B should have made enough covers for Crusaders to have the pattern to hand.  That said, if there is any doubt about how 'normal' your Crusader is then it is probably safer to fill in the form for whichever cover maker you choose and give them all the cross measurements. 
Antony

simon moss

Phil
I just had a cover made by Sailregister, I had to fill out a measurment form which you get from thier website www.sailregister.co.uk
I also e mailed them some photos of the funny bits. It fits great, made in polycotton and I paid £150 inc postage
Simon

Phil Brown

Well done Phil, you got it!

Would definately recommend sending in the measurements, then there won't be a problem. If its a repair or two thats required, there is a tarpulin/tent repairer about 1/4 mile from Spinnaker that did some mods on our cover quite reasonably
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Tim Gatti

Hi Phil - I'd back-up the comments ref Sail Register - I've had three covers from them over the last couple of years (for different boats) and their product and service has been excellent. Tim

Crusader 3244

Hello Phil and welcome!  We're new too and this lot are ok. ;)
P&B will have no problems suppling a cover for a Crusader. I spoke with Tom S at the show regarding one for mine but I dithered. Christian Day ordered one for Stumpy and that appeared excellent quality if a little oversize - perhaps that is deliberate to allow for shrinkage? Make your own enquiries. I think the current list price is higher than Simon mentions for Sailregister.
Chris, 3244

simon moss

Chris your right, they had an offer on polycotton at the time which was only weeks ago, so may be its worth an ask,
by the way nothing against the P&B stuff, Tom sorted out my undercover, needed no forms and is a perfect fit.
Simon

David_Wilkins

So you did it!

Well done Phil - you've joined a fantastic class amd one which seems to be taking over the lake at Spinnaker!

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

emzcrusader

Thanks for all your encouragement and enthusiasm.  <font size="3">The cover has been ordered and I will get round to insuring soonest.  </font>The boat is still in the carport, still v yellow and now has a bare bottom!   The transom has been rubbed down after some really grotty wood was discoveredd, and the tank/cockpit drainiage has been 'ackled'.  The rudder is now yellow and needs just one more coat.  Not sure yet if the transom will go yellow (matching the hull) or back to varnish...... 
The Spinnaker 12 sailors are eager to see the boat on the water!  I'm geting used to hearing 'get on with that varnish brush' and the like.  All in good time people, all in good time.  Simon W popped in last night an gave the boat a quick look and said some nice words about it, but he is  a yacht broker so I won't take too much notice of that!
Phil

n12 Bottom Banner