National 12 - find out more...

Not-quite-new sails

Started by emzcrusader, 08 May 2009, 02:04

« previous - next »

emzcrusader

Hi all,
I'm look for a set of not-quite-new sails to replace the old ones that came with N3379, which are pretty much original from '93. 
Are there any hot-shots out there with a spare suit that would suit a Proctor tin mast please?
Phil 

Martin N3458 (Guest)

Phil
I have a main and jib (P&B) from 2002, which you could have for an agreed price. Still has a reasonable amount of life left in them. Also a 2000 Main which probably be ok for those strong wind days.
I am going down to Burton, so if you are coming you could look at them there.
Martin
N3458

emzcrusader

Hi Martin,
Thanks for the offer.  The 2002 suit could be just what we're looking for. Are they cut for a Ali mast? As I understand it, N12 sails are reasonably interchangable between rigs and boats,except for mast material.   Could you email (phil@wheeler.f9.co.uk) me with an idea of how much you are looking for?
I will be manageing my son's cricket team during Burton Week so won't be there, but there will be several boats from Spinnaker, so transport could be arranged.  
Thanks, Phil
N3379

Antony (Guest)

This raises an interesting question that i had only vaguely considered before buying 3292 (i think it has a Kappa) ... which is:
How hard is it to tune a metal mast to cope with sails cut for a carbon rig?  This is obviously one on which we should ask Tom Stewart or Kevan Bloor to express an educated opinion.  In the meantime here is my view:
Using metal rig sails on carbon is tough, they are basically too flat and it is too hard to keep the carbon rig stiff enough with the result that you get that terrible look when you bend the rig more than the luff curve cut into the sail.  I would not do this, and in fact had an old suit recut when i bought my first carbon rig.
Using sails on 3292 that were made for 3514?  I intend to do this, and am pretty confident that i can adjust the rig (mostly at the spreaders) if necessary to create enough pre-bend to cope with the fuller sails.  I am certainly less worried about this than about switching the other way.
My thoughts, but as i say i am no expert and have not even tried it yet... 
Antony

emzcrusader

OK - I'm more puzzled now.   The suit Martin has offered are cut for a carbon mast. Will they work OK on an ali mast? will they be toooooooo full as the mast is stiff? 
As a newcomer to the class I don't want to make life more complicated than necessary.  So, I think I'm still looking for a sails for an Ali mast. 
Phil
N3379

tom lee

Sails cut for a carbon mast work fine on a aluminium mast, you just need to use a bit more prebend. (angle the spreaders more). best thing is to go to an open and get one of the good guys to help you set it up. 
Tom<br />N3545

FuzzyDuck

I sailed 3413 last year with sails cut for a carbon mast on a tin rig. P&B set up the new mast for them and they looked fine to me (see data base pictures). As already posted its all about where you put your spreaders!
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

FuzzyDuck

Chris,
I am struggling to see the humour in this, OK I lied it made me smile.
For you none Facebook people, I had the mast down last week lying next to the boat. One of the cruiser chaps decided to mow the grass in the dinghy park and lets just say rotary mower blades and carbon masts don't mix. On the bright side the blade just skimmed down the mast till it met the shroud fittings. Yes the ones I had only replaced the week before! Of down the chandlers, again...
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

emzcrusader

Ok - thanks all,  I'm getting the picture a bit better now.  My recent sailing experience is in a single hander with loads of battens and no spreaders, so this is all a bit new to me!  Stiff mast=heavyweight and full sail=power in my simple world!  Thanks for your patience and advice.
Sorry to hear about the carbon mast .
Phil
N3379

n12 Bottom Banner