National 12 - find out more...

jib sheeting

Started by sink or swim, 01 Jun 2009, 09:39

« previous - next »

sink or swim

My 11 year old daughter is crewing for me but is struggling with holding the jib sheet, even with rachet blocks. There are cleats on the centreboard case capping but they are difficult to use, has anybody had the same problem and solved it?

Jeremy C

We have cleats on the side deckjust aft of the shrouds (about 100mm back) might be easier to cleat off here. The other thing you could do would be to go 2:1 on the jibs sheets for when it is a bit breezier so that the load would be halved. would mean more rope in the boat but if it kept you sailing could be an answer. could use a smaller diameter rope too with 2:1.
Trick Cyclist-3444<br />In the pink-3408<br />Kifi-2431- under restoration<br />Flying Saucer 1277 (joint owner)<br />and now Bart 3455 too (sigh!)

Ian Stables

My daughter struggles similarly. We have the usual ratchet block on the track down in the bottom of the boat but then lead the sheet up trough a turning block let into the side deck just aft of the shrouds and so to a harken cleat on a block fitted to the inside of the deck coaming.  Have a look at the action shot on 3404, you can see the block and cleat just forward of my hand!
Ian<br />N3520 (Ex N3404)

Phil Brown

We have a similar set up to Ian with the sheet led up from the rachet block to a through deck block in the side deck then to a cleat alongside. Works well but you have to make sure that the cleat is low enough to allow the sheet to be uncleated easily. It also makes setting the dangly pole easier as the helm (sat on the windward side) can cleat the jib sheet on the deck while the pole is being pulled out to windward by the crew.
Does anyone use a 2:1 system? First thoughts would be that it would need a lot of rope to accommodate the dangly pole and which might result in an awful tangle under the crew's feet.
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Tim Gatti

Hi - see attached photos of jib sheeting mods I made to my Baggy (also did a similar job on vintage boat N2255).  I would echo the  sound advice on not setting them too high - I set the wooden blocks a bit on the low side then make up with a supplementary wedge to match your chosen cam cleats.  It's easier to add a wedge than it is to start cutting backa block already screwed and epoxied in place and you'll never find the absolute right position until your crew starts sailing with the new arrangement.
My crew prefers them slightly on the low side - which is fine in lighter airs and when leaning out in a blow he stretches out a leg to pull down the taut jib sheet down into the cleat.
Good luck! Tim

David_Wilkins

We had cleats on the side deck for the same reason for a few years  - then for single handed sailing. I had them on the windward side in front of the shroud - always accessible but fewer bruises for the crew than behind the shroud.

Cheers
David Wilkins<br /><br /><br />Ex 925, 2433,2730,2825,3139,3345.3405,3481

n12 Bottom Banner