National 12 - find out more...

Summer Event 2010

Started by Roly Mo, 31 May 2009, 07:41

« previous - next »

FuzzyDuck

Having been to the last 3 'Summer events' and still planning on being there this year, what made them special was the ability to camp on site free of charge, a good Bar, and a lake where you could pop ashore for a cuppa between races.  I agree the champs is for the sea and the Summer event should stay on a lake.
I have noticed that all these events have meant a lengthy journey North for me (Northampton, Ripon, Hykeham and now Leigh & Lowton) but so far worth the effort.
Maybe 2010 should be a bit further south, Spinnaker could be good if they can supply the three vital ingrediants.
Simon
aka Simon Hopkins<br />3252 Silent Running<br />Ex 3230, 3413, 3470, 3236

OMSC

Bassenthwaite is a great lake.  sailed there last year for the inlands for the enterprises. camping on site and good bar prices.  Perhaps an option would be to tie it in with Bass week early august, so people travelling further could stay for longer and enjoy a holiday in the lakes too?

angus

What about derwent thats pretty central for those who don't want to travall too far;D
All smoke and Mirrors. N2153, 2969, 3411

Roly Mo

Should have said 'needs to be pretty central' (yes I know that Ullswater is pretty central if you look at the whole of the UK from Lands End to John O'Groats!).
Keep those ideas coming!
Mrs RM

Ian Stables

Spinnaker would be delighted to host the event.

Why don't you all come for a test run on the 20-21st of June - See link from events section for details
Ian<br />N3520 (Ex N3404)

sam293

ian is there free campin available on site at spinaker?

Moon Shallow

If you have an event at Rutland and have booked the whole clubhouse facilities it is free to camp on the club ground... the campsite across the road is £10 nite per tent but has no facilities so u need to use the club ones. It is a great piece of water if the bars expensive then dont drink as much u dont need to drink to have a good time lol.
Datchet would be a good one as it is london so very accesible and my sources tell me it is allways windy, as for camping not sure but you do need to be strong to pull your boats up and down.
I have another idea which is Ogston I know there used to be a few 12's around there not sure anymore but that is reasonably central, fairly big, and did hold the enterprise masters earlier this year so has the capabilities. If no camping onsite i could try and pull in a few favours and find some ground somewhere lol.
Naomi

Roly Mo

Spinnaker's offer is much appreciated but possibly too close to Weymouth to offer a balanced programme for 2010 (but noted for future years!)

RM

Jane Wade

I know very little about it - except that it is a reasonable size and central - but what about Carsington?
Jane 
PS See other thread - any babysitters going to the 2009 event that could cope with two more?

FuzzyDuck

If you want central why not Barnt Green and go back to where it all began.
never been thare mind so don't know what its like!
Simon

sam293

yeah great idea fuzzy, done a  few events there in my time, loveley bit of water, some very expierenced race officers,
foods great, bars cheep and they know how to party
free camping too. and you can even pop in for a drink between races

FuzzyDuck

Sam,
Sounds like my sort of club!
Simon

MarkSimpson

What about Burghfield?  They have a 12 fleet (who also travel), bit further south than previous events, inland venue, not sure if they can offer camping.
Please not Datchet.
mark

Crusader 3244

Carsington is in a beautiful part of the world and with state of the art facilities. There is a choice of camping nearby.
I agree Bass is a great setting, too.
Those of you who know the Birkett event will know Ullswater. I can't comment on the ability to camp in club grounds but there is ample lakeside camping adjacent to the SC. As a family we chanced upon the Birkett event 3/4 yrs back, which is what rekindled my desire to return to the sport.
The Laser 2000 cruising and social group had arranged to camp at the lakeside site and the weekend clashed with the Birkett - there was great atmosphere and room for all. It had great appeal and one of the 2000 party gave me the big sell. I was nearly seduced into desiring one. ('Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned .. ) I have paid my penitence with the 12, mostly the punishment has been frequent baptism in the water. I guess we're learning faster and having more fun along the way. .. (But we didn't swim at TBYC ! - we must be improving.. or not trying hard enough:-/)    
End of confession.:)
Chris, 3244

Crusader 3244

Ahh Sam, that's a great plug and brought a smile to my face. I am truly sold upon Redesmere as a potential venue and Rudyard too, Redesmere is officially 'The Best Sailing Club in theWorld', at least on facebook, and it is home to the reigning fancy dress champions, but I feel the water may not come up to everyones' expectations. If your daggerboard bottomed at Thorpe Bay, then you could expect the same on our pond. Our members our well experienced with 'mast in mud', so the thames estury was home-from-home. :-/
Christian is fleet captain, I'm sure he would discuss it with the club committee if the class desired.
Chris, 3244

n12 Bottom Banner