National 12 - find out more...

Barber Haulers

Started by Flew, 05 Jun 2009, 05:29

« previous - next »

Flew

Hi, I have recently swapped rs600 with a Crusader 2 to sail with my young daughter. Love the boat and we are finding are way around the rig controls but am at a loss as to how we use the jib barber haulers. They are lead though bulls eyes in the foredeck so seem to be there to pull the leach tight rather than pull the sheeting angle inboard. When do I use them? PS. The recent thread on re-jigging the jib sheet controls to make them child friendly was great and has solved a problem we have had tacking and mark rounding therby saving several seconds per tack. :)
Thanks in anticipation of help.

Chadders

Hi Barber Haulers were handy once upon a time but your best bet is to ditch them and fit a dangly pole!  If your  fairleads are in the correct place then all you need is the dangly pole to push the jib out and make it set nicely on a reach/broad reach and of course to windward on a run to replace the old style jib stick.  Easy to fit, easy to use and I am sure the information on fitting one is on the web site.  Debate a while ago came up with 1.6 mtrs as the optimum length, aluminium is OK carbon is better and you can buy a kit from PnB.  Old fishing poles (broken ones?) can  sometimes be obtained and are much cheaper but not necessarily as strong.  The big gain is that you can control the pole and it is easier with a small crew than the old jib stick ever was.  Howard C

andymck

The barber haulers are for use on a reach. They allow the leach to be tightened when the jib is eased, they have no role upwind. They bring the top of the jib back into play. They have been superseded on more modern boats by the dangly pole, which has a similar function, but has more flexibility.

Andy
Andy Mck<br />3529

chalky

Hi, Our local fishing tackle shop mail orders equipment. Our dangly pole is made from the £5 tube and works very well

£5 for a polyester pole
http://www.lathams-fishing.co.uk/lathams-one-peice-6ft-1-8m-carp-landing-handle-pid4936.html

£10 for the carbon version
http://www.lathams-fishing.co.uk/lathams-6ft-1-8m-carbon-1-piece-landing-net-pole-pid4978.html

Roly Mo

Dangly poles do indeed work well with small crews.  Ellie (7) manages ours fine.  Will send you the output of our survey,
RM

Phil Brown

Those carbon carp landing poles also make very good cheap tiller extensions. You probably have to pack the end so that the flexible joint will fit but mine's been going strong for 5 years now
<br />Phil Brown<br /><br />N 3518

Flew

we already have a dangly pole hence i couln't work out what purpose they had. Would like to replace it with a nice carbon one though so the fishing rod idea is good. We took the barber haulers off anyway and tried out our new child friendly jib sheet arrangement [tuning block in the side deck and jammer on an L block just inboard] in this afternoons race. this has made things way better and in 20knts + and a reachy coarse we were smoking away from the lasers.
N3300

Lukepiewalker

Indeed, barberhaulers were superceded by the dangly pole. The ones on my last twelve had two control lines so you could move them backwards and forwards as well as up and down... I miss all the string...

Roly Mo

Take up cat's cradle!!

GarryR

How strong are these poles - would they make a spinnaker pole or is that asking for trouble?

Twosails (Guest)

Even contemplating putting a spinnaker onto a N12 is asking for trouble!!

chopper

the time has come to put a asymetric spinaker on our n12s to give us better performance off the wind this is a mod that would not outdate older boats.

Brown Trousers (Guest)

My last few outings in my 12 have left me requiring a change of pants, frankly I couldn’t afford the laundry bill.  I recommend spending a bit more time in the boat before wishing for an additional diving control.  The gap between the A fleet and the B fleet would be immense.

Kevin

Adding an asymetric would automatically change the performance envelope of the boats leading to different hull shape requirements to get optimum performance. This means those that could afford it would go out and buy something new that would likely significantly outperform all existing boats (even with modified rig), whilst those that cannot afford this would lose the ability to buy a competetive boat for under £5k because this option would no longer exist.

If you want something radical, how about looking at Dead Cat Bounce? There are loads of ideas there, some of which can be retrofitted to existing boats for less than the cost of adding a third sail, and all of which are legal under the existing rules. Whether or not they will work in isolation is a different question, but DCB was fast downwind in all conditions at Burton Week(end).

Kevin

chalky

Gary, the landing net handles would not be strong enough to use as a spinnaker pole they are also tapered...Plenty of old damaged widsurfer masts out ther suitable for asymmetric poles but not on a 12 please

n12 Bottom Banner